1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight tint..?

Clawdi Aug 20, 2013

1. Clawdi

Clawdi Member

I've noticed there's a few A3s here with their front headlights slightly tinted which I think it looks nice but I wonder is that road legal? As isn't it impairing the headlight efficiency?

Also i have seen the retro xenon kits on eBay and wondered how does the projection look like with out the projector ball on a standard halogen headlight, has anyone had these fitted on theirs?

2. Kieronboz

Kieronboz Member

Stuff like 'fly eye' claims to not impair light output at all; 47cm x 106cm Headlight Tinting Perforated Mesh Film Like Fly-Eye MOT Legal Tint | eBay

Whether that's something their obliged to say themselves or not I don't know, but they also claim its fine for MOT.

Just looking for some myself at the minute, looked at fly eye, some other stuff called laminx too, but some people say this can heat up the lamp?

Or wrap a pair of tights around the lamp! :)

3. hades-

hades- Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

lamin-x and fly eye
    iv used both lamin-x is the best and diffrent shades
    fly is easy to fit but personal taste.

but even tho iv never had a problem with the MOT ppl

i was recently made to remove some fly eye by the police at the road side or thay were gona put a probo notice on the car and fine me

4. Isaa

Isaa Member

heres a pic of mine with tinted lights
    [​IMG]

Used a film called Spi Vision. It has lots of little hole in it to let some of the light through.

5. vitogray

vitogray New Member

that looks nice bud.... was it a pain in the ass to do or is it straight forward?

6. Isaa

Isaa Member

Not too complicated, corners can be a little fiddlie but having a second pair of hands makes things a lot more easier.

7. vitogray

vitogray New Member

so it just sticks on over the top? no need to remove the light or mess around? just sticks on and cut off the excess...

8. hillsyxvii

hillsyxvii Member

I think it really compliments dark coloured cars. Here's mine:

Attached Files:

DeeGee68 likes this.
  9. Isaa

Isaa Member

When I done mine I never removed the bumper. Just heated the film, placed over headlights and trimmed the edges. Removing bumper is not necessary but makes things a bit easier.

10. vitogray

vitogray New Member

hmm might look into this.... my car isn't exactly dark but will see what it looks like. I am in need of led taillights, but not shore which get I know the kind I want but i'm a little picky. I want a solid line that surrounds the taillight when on if you know what I mean. think its the facelift taillight. not shore. any help would be appreciated by pm. thanks :)

11. Clawdi

Clawdi Member

That looks very nice, what film did you use? Did you pay to get it done or if you bought it do you have a link to where from, as for the retrofit xenons has anyone had these fitted on their halogen casing?

12. Isaa

Isaa Member

When you say solid line ones I'm guessing you mean the OEM facelift tail lights. These can be bought on eBay for about £200 but if you do opt to buy these you will also need the Kufatec wiring harnes for them to work. You will also need to code the lights using VagCom.

vitogray likes this.
  13. vitogray

vitogray New Member

Cheers for that mate, I'm just reading up on it now, you've been a massive help bud and ill hopefully be getting the lights next week

14. Isaa

Isaa Member

no
    worries mate, if you come across any problems just Pm me.

15. hillsyxvii

hillsyxvii Member

Alright mate. The bi xenons and tinting film were already fitted to the car when I got it.
    Will do some digging and try and find out where they were purchased.

16. larsmate

larsmate Member

This is LaminX their lightest tint. Not sure if it's legal here is Oz. I've been pulled over a couple of times for other reasons and I haven't had an issue with the cop however I do drive with DRL's on so the tint is not noticeable.

S3Front.jpg

17. vitogray

vitogray New Member

yh thanks again mate ill pm you if I have any problems.

18. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A5

i had the lightest tint (6%) on my headlights but i didnt like it so removed it... they looked like a shade of brown which put me off.

19. Tomwebb

Tomwebb A3 2.0 tdi s line 170

I've got the lamin x smoke (darkest) on my headlights, was easy to fit just don't be too fragile with it. After a few days the bubbles and water goes.

Ive also got the Philips diamond vision bulbs, they look like hids but the light out put is pants and the tints make it worse.

Was an easy cheap mod that really looks the part I think.

20. Zak0123

Zak0123 Active Member

21. Steedy

Steedy Member

Did your ore cut lamin-x fit cuz I'm having problems with mine ATM

22. Tomwebb

Tomwebb A3 2.0 tdi s line 170

Buy it from the .com site and it comes pre cut to the correct headlight size ;)

23. Steedy

Steedy Member

I've done that but it doesn't cover the whole headlight

24. Clawdi

Clawdi Member

The website:

The . Com ? With no spaces or have I missed something? And will it cover the whole light as mentioned it didn't cover other lads whole light?

25. NME

NME Member

I bought mine from the USA site, and it covered the headlight pretty well.

True, it will never completely cover the headlight - but you only need it to cover the visible part, the rest was hidden by the bonnet.

You MUST use a hairdryer or a heat gun, spray / mist the headlight before you apply it, and it goes on perfectly - whilst still allowing you to remove it if you make a boo boo.

Also - if you enter the discount code "10off" on the USA site, you get 10% discount!

This was on my old car:

IMG_0657.jpg IMG_0656.jpg

26. Clawdi

Clawdi Member

That looks nice mate, what website was that from and did it take long to receive the order?