1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

headlight restoration?

azman May 17, 2013

1. azman

azman Member

hi, i recently decided i would ugrade from the standard pre facelift headlights to the more modern looking facelift ones.
    i purchased a pair from ebay from a lad in bradford called gaz for 140,
    they looked in ok condition and had "fly eye" stickers over them.
    after deciding i would not keep the fly eye sticker on a couple of weeks later, it became obvious why they had said sticker on.
    they were dull and cloudy and looked dreadful.
    i have tried all sorts to restore, including the wet/dry method, turtle wax headlight restore.
    has any body got any other ideas how to restore or have i been had over?

2. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member

They take a fair bit of work without a polisher. Finish it off with Brasso

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

azman likes this.
  4. Danno57

Danno57 Member VCDS Map User

I had to spend a lot of time using 600grit (around 30mins) on each headlight to fully sand off the oxidisation on the top layer, once I could see all the yellow discolouration and stone chips were gone I then moved onto 800 for 10 mins a piece, then 1200 (15 mins) then 2000 and finally 2500.
    Then dry and use a good rubbing compound (I used T-cut). Use 1 cloth to put the compound on and rub in a circular motion until it starts to dry, then use another cloth to finish it up. The last step of constantly rubbing down with a compound is what gives the final restored look.

azman likes this.
  5. danderton

danderton Member