Headlight Restoration (With Pics)

yea one of them, but ive not used one yet, i polished mine by hand, used sonus polishes that came with my machine, will be doing the other headlight tomoz hopefully

Found a porter cable in my shed at the weekend! (minus backing plates and pads)

Will be going at the headlights this weekend.

What fitment are the sidelight bulbs? going to get some LED ones from eBay. (Tried PM'ing Trups, no response)

cheers

Can anybody send me link to the lamin-x film protection?
I can't seem to find the right stuff in the internet and I can't find we're to buy it or contact them on their website :S

Their UK website is no longer available from what I can see....

I shall be trying UV stable lacquer when I do the lights on my A2 as they are much curvier and the lamin-x doesn't do corners and curves very well

You can still get lamin-x from ebay though
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...RC1.A0.H0.Xlamin-x.TRS0&_nkw=lamin-x&_sacat=0

<tuffty/>

Thanks mate! I think most lacquers need applying every couple of months , I may be wrong but it would be good to find a descent long lasting product.

Do you know roughly how much is needs to cover both front lenses?
I can't measure up until next weekend and wanted order before then really.

Thanks again tuffty.

Thanks mate! I think most lacquers need applying every couple of months , I may be wrong but it would be good to find a descent long lasting product.

Do you know roughly how much is needs to cover both front lenses?
I can't measure up until next weekend and wanted order before then really.

Thanks again tuffty.

Can't remember off hand... best way is to measure from the bottom inner corner of the headlight round the bottom and inline to where the top outside corner by the indicator is and add some onto that... the depth will be the trickiest... when wrapping the light from the inner edge to the outer edge it will want to curve down so you think you have loads of height but it diminishes quickly... practice with a bit of paper once you have the rough measurements to see what I mean and check the bit you buy is enough

<tuffty/>

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a DAS-6 to finish mine off.

I've had the 3m kit sitting in the workshop for couple of years which I bought for my last car. Although I found it a fairly naff kit.

Doesn't come with nearly enough sandpaper and the finer "sandpaper" pad of 3000 grit is a sponge which is next to useless.

I've used the attachment in a bog standard Hitachi modern cordless drill and now with added wet and dry 600 to 2500 I'm able to get a 'clear' finish but not crystal.

Mine were very heavily pitted and even going down to 280 grit and working my way up I have a few small pitts but ultimately an extremely smooth finish now, just not perfectly gloss clear like the bulk of the above examples.

Once I have my DA and am hopefully able to get my own to a gloss finish I'll do some pics.

thread resurrection lol thought I post in here instead of making a new thread.

Here are my headlights.

IMG 1797 IMG 1798

I attempted to have ago at these awhile back what I did was get some baking soda toothpaste with a toothbrush working it in also used 2000 w&d sand paper spraying water onto lens before sanding but it didn't seem to be getting anywhere so I got a brass wired brush and had another go on passenger side but still sempt getting nowhere. And Looking at passenger side there seems to be like a wave effect issue at bottom of lense that I don't think was there before I attempted restoring them.

Anyway want to try again I don't have a electric polisher so will be hand have found this kit that's been mentioned on some threads on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112245858711?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
What polish would I use as a final finish and what about uv protection?

Thanks help appreciated.