1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight Refresh

Tooks Jun 8, 2012

1. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

Something has been bugging me about my S3's headlights since I got it, and that is the cloudiness of the headlights. I tried some plastic window cleaner with a dremel, but that didn't seem to shift it at all.

I read today about kits you can get to clean them up, and googled a few threads about using wet and dry etc.

Had a look in my shed, found some 2000 grit, and with a bit of nervousness started to rub.

I only spent about 10 mins on each headlight, and then followed it up with some Brasso.

Its not perfect, but much improved I think.

Obligatory before and after pics;

[​IMG]
    S3 Headlight Cloudiness by iaintookey, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    S3 Headlight Post Clean by iaintookey, on Flickr

I might give it another go with some finer grit, but they look much better than before anyway.

2. s33nyboy12

s33nyboy12 Well-Known Member

I live 30 miles from Lincoln, you are doing mine for beer tokens lol! No on a serious note ,lies better I wanna try this!

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

4. s33nyboy12

s33nyboy12 Well-Known Member

5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

^^^ that :p

<tuffty/>

6. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

7. <tuffty/>

I used Menz Final Finish mostly but had a go with power finish after the 2000grit run to start it off

<tuffty/>

8. Tooks

Tooks Active Member

Thanks, I'll look out for some.

9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Member

as far as I'm aware, you also need to apply a UV protective coating afterwards, otherwise they will cloud again very quickly?

anyone expereienced this, or done it themselves and had no problems?

I had mine done professionally with a 2 year guarantee on the UV coating

10. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member Team Dolphin Grey Audi S3 quattro Audi A6

Where did you get it done?

11. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator DSG

Unless your location of 'melting beans' is down under then it'd be a bit of a trek.