Headlight/projector help please!!!!!

jamie_a3

Reaction score
i have a 54plate audi a3 3 door.im after a set of black projector headlights but i dont no what will fit.

ive been told that from 2000 there all the same headlight i was just wondering if anyone could shed a bit of light on this for me as i dont wanna go out and buy the wrong ones :no:

they wont work..

you need 2004+ but after 2008 they changed again..

as far as i know, only projector type around are ones with angel eyes etc...

or its just a case of looking for xenons...

ye i got hids just wanted something to make the front look a bit better

yeah basically you wanna find some xenons cheap without the ballasts and bulbs, and huck up your hids.. make sure they dont mess up ur wiper motor thou, the early ones blow the motor

I have a set of DEPO lights which are pretty common and easy to find. They're pretty much the same thing as the FK's.

DSC_0160x1sml.jpg

There are however plenty of other options out there... here are a couple of samples...

b49909180-ac-4293xf5x0600x0298-m.jpg

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4529295

There is also the popular 'A5' look going around, I can't seem to find the post on short notice but I'm sure with a bit more effort you'll find them.

As for blowing the wiper motor... been there, done that... didn't much care for the experience, but at least it was replaced under warranty. From what research I managed to do, the Retro Solutions kit which comes with a Digitally controlled ballast and choice of 35 and 55W has a pretty good track record. Noone I have spoken to who used it has ever had a motor blow. I just installed the 35W kit myself and I find it powers up a lot faster and smoother than my previous kit which was a Ziitaku 55W. (Which incidentally blew my wiper motor in less than a week and by the time I got rid of it took about 15-20 seconds to fully warm up.) I was told that using the CanBus adapter that RS sells is also a good idea as it minimizes the power surges which fry the motors even more. Apparenty Audi has released a bulletin to it's dealers that advises them of the fact that some HID kits burn out the computer controll units on the wiper motors.

Another thing I heard that minimizes the risk of a blown motor is switching the light set up via VagCom. I believe it is in the Central Electronics module, byte 21 change from 10 to 11. 10 is supposed to be halogen, 11 Xenon low beams and 12 Bi-Xenons.

Good luck.

Last edited: