1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight problem

mcconnot Sep 14, 2010

1. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

Hi Guys,
    Ok minor problem (i hope). Had my first stab at polishing my A3 with a rotary the other day. Results were great as the car shines now. However, when i decided :wacko: just to run a wool bonnet gently over the headlight casing just to buff it up. When i was on the left head light the wool bonnet slipped on the rotary (ie- the velcro slipped) and the edge of the hard velcro backing plate scratched the light. It looks like an abrasion.

Question is can i somehow polish this out of the plastic light casing?? Its not that deep at all.

Cheers for any help!

Tom

2. jars

jars Member

i've seen alot of people wetsanding the light, then usethe rotary to polish it back. really does depend on how deep it is though.

hope that helps

3. mcconnot

mcconnot Member

Cheers man! No its not deep because i pulled away as soon as i seen it start to happen. The surface is just gone rough- it looks like it would polish out again. Hopefully!

4. jars

jars Member

no worries.

if it's only roughed up, you might get away with somelike 3000 or 4000, which would make the polishing out much easier.

i need to do something similar to mine as got loads of stone chips on my headlights and i hate it!

hope it works out well!

5. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

I polished mine up the other day, 1500 then polished with my DA.

Took off alot of **** from the headlight, didn't want to go to far with it though, certainly worth you having a go at flatting and polishing it out.

6. John @ PB

John @ PB Member

I'd start with a less aggresive combination than a wet sand: something like a Menzerna orange pad and Menzerna 3.02 polish should be sufficient. I'd suggest trying this first but keep an eye on temperatures.