Headlight Options!

Gazjs

Reaction score
Ordered A3 SE sportback - monsoon grey - cruise control - privacy glass. Should expect delivery towards the end of April.

This will be a company car that ultimately gets returned in 4 years unless I decide to buy it off the company, so I was trying to keep optional costs down as these come out my pocket.

I am doubting my choice of normal halogen lights though. Is it worth fitting the xenon to the SE model? Is there any packages to combine these with my above choices that may reduce price?

Has anyone installed any aftermarket bulbs that give the xenon look?

Thanks,

Looking forward to be being part of the forum.

If anything I'd say it's not worth fitting xenon look bulbs. You can't see what they look like when driving the car and they won't be anything compared to real xenons when you look at night time performance. I don't think I'd buy a car without xenons after having a them for 2 winters

So the question is do you want really bright lights that make night driving so much more pleasant, easier and safer or do you just want the look?

If you want the former, and you feel its worth the extra then there's no real choice (other than LED which also give you the benefits) if you want the latter then get some bulbs from Halfrauds.

As above, if you just want the look then fit the bulbs.

I must say, my 8P A3 is the first car I've had with bi-xenon headlights and I struggle to drive a car with halogen headlights now...ask yourself how much night/poor visibility driving you'll be doing. If you are driving at night I'd say they are worth the extra money.

Also, with wanting to keep costs down, why not remove the privacy glass option, use the money towards the headlights and just get the car tinted by a reputable aftermarket tinter? the whole car will cost around £150 (I'm in Yorkshire) which may save you some pennies

I've driven both the 'ordinary' headlights and I have the xenon's on my own car, the ordinary ones are fine if you don't do much night time driving. Not bad in fact, however they don't look at good in terms of the reflector and the colour of the light..

While the looks are a factor, it is without doubt that I would prefer the safest option also. I do a lot of driving on country roads at nights etc.

I read that the xenon light package also includes adaptive headlights, the light and señor package and also the interior lighting package.

I suppose another factor running through my mind is that will this all look a bit too much on the SE spec? Like I am trying too hard to make it look something more like an s line model etc? Will the interior package look good with everything else standard inside?

Does anyone have pictures of the interior package?

I would love the s line model, but the company dictates the model. There is a sport model available for choice but the buy up cost this would cost me over the 4 years, I would be cheaper just adding the extras on.

Thanks again

This is my first car with xenons. I wouldn't go back to halogens now.

This is my first car with xenons. I wouldn't go back to halogens now.

I'm on my third with xenons and also wouldn't ever go back.

As for aftermarket bulbs - don't do it. If you go for "xenon look" bulbs which are still filament but produce a whiter light then all you get is a slightly different look and everyone thinks you're a bit of a "barry boy". If you get actual HID bulbs and put them in the reflector housings you'll end up blinding everyone and look a total muppet.

The xenon pack will look good (remember you also get LED DRLs and full LED lights at the rear), provide a much better driving experience at night and increase the resale value of the car in years to come. Definitely worth it I think.

I agree. My last three A3s have all has xenon headlights and whilst I drive quite so much at night now, they are very welcome when I do. Also with the xenon headlights you also get the LED strips as DRLs and LED strip rear lights and indicators as well as the the adaptive headlights, light and rain sensor package and interior light package.

I chose the Sport and added the extras I wanted because there are items on the S-Line package that I don't like or want.

My first car with Xenons and glad I chose them. Thought about LED but the price is ridiculous.

It sounds like you do get a lot of items for your money. Time to start thinking before it's too late.

Anyone any pictures of the interior?

Learn from my experience.. I've been there with all the bulbs, tried so many different manufacturers such as philips, osram and a few others and you'll never get a proper xenon look. What normally happens with the xenon look bulbs is that they're coated in a blue film that drastically cuts down the actual output of the light. So yes it looks cool, but you end up losing vision which is never a good thing.

Think I am almost certain on going for the light upgrade now. Will make a phone all tomorrow, don't suppose it would add on to delivery time?

Think I am almost certain on going for the light upgrade now. Will make a phone all tomorrow, don't suppose it would add on to delivery time?

If your not code 20 you should be fine. It's a bolt on part so shouldn't increase any build or order lead times.

If your not code 20 you should be fine. It's a bolt on part so shouldn't increase any build or order lead times.
I only spoke with the garage on Friday afternoon who couldn't confirm a build week, only an estimate of late April delivery so sounds like I can still make changes before it is locked down.

I only spoke with the garage on Friday afternoon who couldn't confirm a build week, only an estimate of late April delivery so sounds like I can still make changes before it is locked down.
Don't hang about. Once locked down, the only way to adjust is a new order. Before lock down, doesn't Impact anything.

Don't hang about. Once locked down, the only way to adjust is a new order. Before lock down, doesn't Impact anything.
Hopefully a call first thing should be quick enough. Then just the countdown ..... Be the first new car so rather excited