Headlight modification

tsait

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. But i really need someone to help me on this one.

I currently own a Audi A3 2.0T in USA. and i would like to change the light bulb of the headlight to xenon light bulb. But after surfing the net for it, i cant find any site that sell A3 Xenon light bulb. I wonder if it is the same as other audi models, if so, where i could get the highest quality light bulb on internet.

Thanks in advance for anyone who reply

tsait

Hi tsait and welcome to the forum.

I use the following website for all my bulbs

powerbulbs

They offer an excellent service and I'm sure they would be able to send bulbs to the US. However it may be cheaper to try and buy locally. Try searching using 'xenon' and see what it turns up.

You do presumably realise that xenon bulbs are not the same as the true xenon headlights which are much more expensive. Some chaps on this forum have changed from ordinary to xenon headlights on their A3s. Try doing a search in this forum under xexon.

Wecome to the forum.

In a word, No. Well not legally anyway.

You must be kicking yourself having been in the USA recently, and in an Audi dealer I know that Xenons are an inexpensive option.

The Xenon headlamps are actually completely different in design - it is much more than a very expensive bulb. In a standard headlamp you tend to have a coventional halogen bulb rated at about 12volts/60Watts. A Xenon system has a rating of just 35Watts but also requires a huge voltage (in the tens of thousands) to get started and yet produces at least twice the light output of a standard bulb, 3000 ansi Lumens vs 1500 ansi Lumens.

Just like here in Europe the US has strict regulations about the Xenon equipped vehicles being equipped with automatic levelling of the headlamp beams depending on the load being carried. We also have to have headlamp washers - thought US market seems to skip this requirement. Also there are regulations that mandate that in the event of an accident the headlamp control systems shut down - the electrical voltages involved could be lethal to rescue workers (in your litigation orientated society you need to avoid this!).

If you ignore the legality issues then take a look at vagparts.com who do some kits. Even doing this will just get you Xenon lamps for dipped beam. In the USA the Bi-Xenon (Main and dip) are supplied.

Hi,

Thanks for all your helps. Let me describe more about my A3.

It is a 2006 A3 DSG automatic w/ a standard lighting.

I think i just want to get a much brighter light bulb (I think my is 4000 w and i would like it to be 6000w at least) than the one that i have right now.

So where can I find light bulb online that fit my A3?(can not find any site that specified the bulb for A3) Do I need to instal xenon for it to be brighter? or just a regular halogen light bulb w/ greater Waltage will do?

How about fog light?

Thanks in advance for any help

tsait

Hi,

Thanks for all your helps. Let me describe more about my A3.

It is a 2006 A3 DSG automatic w/ a standard lighting.

I think i just want to get a much brighter light bulb (I think my is 4000 w and i would like it to be 6000w at least) than the one that i have right now.

So where can I find light bulb online that fit my A3?(can not find any site that specified the bulb for A3) Do I need to instal xenon for it to be brighter? or just a regular halogen light bulb w/ greater Waltage will do?

How about fog light?

Thanks in advance for any help

tsait

If you want good standard lights then try fitting PIAA bulbs.
They are made in Japan, and typically produce 110w of light power from a 55w bulb.
They do various colour bulbs, many of them closely resembling the light colour of Xenon lights.
I fitted a set of PIAA 'Extreme White' to a Mercedes C280 that had absolutely dire factory headlights.It transformed night-time driving, could actually see where I was going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif.
Have a look on Ebay and there's loads for sale, have just bought some for the A4 but they haven't arrived yet......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I agree, fabulous bulbs .......... got them in my motorbike too.