1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

headlight lens hazy! can these be fixed?

Jackhop22 Feb 3, 2013

1. Jackhop22

Jackhop22 Member

my headlamps are quite hazy on the front lenses, what is best to do? can they be brought up nice, or is it simply new headlamps? it looks like a layer on the lens has actually melted away, i do have some spare lamps in the same condition, which i will probably have a practice on first, maybe wet sand it down and polish it and see if it comes up?

was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, as i have seen a few on the road that are the same!

2. southylad

southylad Active Member

Have a look on ebay i got a two stage cut and polish for plastic lenses about £10 worked well on my passat

3. GeoffDunk

GeoffDunk Well-Known Member Team Panther Audi RS4 quattro Audi Avant Owner Group

I had mine clay barred by a proffesional when he detailed my car. both from and rear lenses were perfect once he had finished with them.

4. Jackhop22

Jackhop22 Member

okie doke, i work for a main dealer with a very good valet bay, which has all the goodies i need! will have a play with one of my spare lamps tomorrow, and will update how it goes on here!

5. krisavant

krisavant Active Member

If your brave enough, 2000 grit wet & dry, compound machine polish then final stage polish with soft pad.
    They will look brand new.

6. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

I tried wet and dry along with polishing on my headlights, but it seemed the actual plastic had started to turn a yellowish colour over 120,000 miles.
    I ended up replacing the units for some "Depo" ones which were purchased for £45/ea on ebay - they have been on the car for about 6 months now and are perfect, really freshened up the front end!

7. Malfuss

Malfuss Member

Toothpaste works as well!

8. Jackhop22

Jackhop22 Member

9. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

I carried out the sanding and polishing method on a few of my previous cars and it really dose work well including restoring the yellowing.

Here's a few of the past results:

Mitsubishi FTO

Before (de-laminating and yellowing)
    [​IMG]

After (like new)
    [​IMG]

My 540I (had bad motorway stone chips)

before
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]

some of the in between process

wet flatted back (start with 600 then 800 then 1000 then 1500)
    [​IMG]

after all the flatting they looked like this
    [​IMG]

once you have them looking like this i used a mop (machine polisher) but the same effect can be had by hand just takes elbow grease along with a cutting compound.

[​IMG]

10. Jackhop22

Jackhop22 Member

That's amazing, great post! Cheers mate... Gonna get on mine again tomorrow, hopefully get them as nice as yours!

11. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

No worries,

Get the worst off with wet 600 once you have it nice and smooth then work at it with wet finer stuff till it looks like my last pic before I polished then its just compound and elbow grease till it looks mint, with the wet n dry paper add a bit a fairy liquid to the water helps let the paper slide over the lens and stops the paper clogging.