1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

headlight keep fogging up

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by vr6gordy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

had a bit of trouble with my headlights fogging up so took them out the other day and sealed them up left them in the house over night them put them back in today only to find out there still fogging up ... should i have left them out side with out a cover on the back to get the warm air out of them first ???? any ideas ????????????
  2. Catcherofcarp50

Catcherofcarp50 Member

Hi there I took one of my covers of the back of my headlights and that has solved the problem I think it's just the time of year
  3. Ian2012

Ian2012 Member

Quite normal don't worry
  4. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Active Member

Think I might of found the problem ... Where the power plug plugs in the gasket is rotten so sealed it up are try tomorrow
  5. krisavant

krisavant 4th set of a wheels in a year

Unless inside the headlight is 100% dry before sealing its gonna keep getting misted up.
    Needs to be aired to dry out.
  6. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

They are all vented headlights so moisture is always going to get in......but some are less effected by others and can only put it down to engine temperatures and locations. When the engine is hot the air heats up and expands inside the headlight and as it cools the air contracts pulling in colder moist air creating the fogging and over time collects water that can't escape.

Some remove the back cover to fully vent them or some like me silicone seal the vents to seal the units and it works very well and gets less and less over time, but still have a little moisture in mine still even after using a hair dryer in them, but still mist up a lot less now.
  7. Catcherofcarp50

Catcherofcarp50 Member

Take covers off works a treat I've got another car which is a show car and it's been brill all year till it got to November then one light started to mist took cover of that and it sorted that one too I had a rx8 and the back light misted on that but I drilled holes in the back of that and siliconed it and that worked I seem to get something misted on every car I've brought lol
  8. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

Took my left one out because it keeps fogging at the side, and tried to spray soap water on top of it, and blew air inside through the upper backside vent-hole... And two small cracks appeared on top of the back cover / ballast...

Is it really possible that those two small cracks are the reason that it keeps fogging??

Wonder why the cracks are there as the back cover is quite new..

I'm gonna use some silicone on them and see if it helps..
    Already done the O-ring fix + silicone on the surroundings and silicone along OEM sealing
  9. mattyboyc

mattyboyc Active Member

Didn't realise you could do the "o" ring fix on uk spec lights, i saw this mod on Audizine but us spec lights are different, any pics on how it's done on a uk light would be good.
  10. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

Mine are the S4 headlights.. Shouldnt they be the same? Same housing I mean??
  11. mattyboyc

mattyboyc Active Member

I too have genuine S4 xenon headlights in mine, from the extensive research i have done it seems that factory xenons suffer more than the standard halogen units, must be something to do with the heat difference ,if you look at the " o " ring fix on Audizine you will see that the U. S. spec xenon headlight has a completely different casing and all the adjusters are in different places, just interested what you removed as you say you have done the " o" ring mod, our friends over the pond also do what they call the umbrella mod but in all honesty i am yet to find definite fix.
  12. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

Yeah the bi-xenon are the worst..

Only ment to say that even with O-ring fix and extensive amount of silicone around it, I still suffer from moisture in my left headlight.. So tried soapy water and air pressure inside the housing and it revealed two cracks ..
    Just wondering if they are the reason it's fogging...
  13. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

14. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

I didn't make a gasket(umbrella) I just snugged some silicone around the assembly..
    My point is, that water still enters, but from where.. And that's were I found those two crack.. They gotta be the ones causing it..

So, use soapy water on the housing, blow air through the upper vent, and any crack will be visible
  15. mattyboyc

mattyboyc Active Member

It's my o/s one that has this issue the other one is fine, i will try pumping air into it and see what happens, i was just curious as to what you removed to get to the "o" ring as i can't see anything on mine that can be removed.

Roll on summer as no problem once temp picks up even in heavy rain.
  16. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

If you have the bi-xenon S4(grey internal) there should be an assembly where you adjust your light vertically..
  17. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

Pics from audizine..
    Isn't this the one you got??

Attached Files:

18. mattyboyc

mattyboyc Active Member

image.jpg

I have single xenons ( grey innards ), thats obviously where the difference is ( bottom pic )
  19. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

Ah ok.. Yeah a smaller projector and some housing diffenrences.. That's why you don't have the option to do the O ring fix.. But that just leaves one problem out for you :)
    That's the main reason for fogging on the bi's..
    All water gets collected and passes the shrunken o ring..

Try the compressed air in to the housing thing.. And you'll find your cracks..
    Could be the sealing between front lens and housing also.. It'll show anyway
  20. mattyboyc

mattyboyc Active Member

I am determined to find it, i know a bit anal but it's bloody annoying and Audi want nearly £300 for a new unit .
  21. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

Yeah and it'll fog up sooner or later..
  22. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

Some news.. I've found that the back cover crack where the ballast sits.. So filled up the holes with silicone..
    It was some wet inside as it had just rained when I took
    It apart.. So definitely worth searching for cracks'n'holes :)
  23. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro!

24. Wahlstrom

Wahlstrom Member

Nice.. Already filled it with silicone..
    I'll try to find a similar product here..