headlight bumper question

quattroa6

Reaction score
Help trying to fit my Philips HID's in the rain today and didn't get very far.
I have a 99 2.8 quattro A6 Avant. to remove the headlight do i have to remove bumper. if so any one got any good links or pdf's for me have spent ages looking and not getting very far.
The wiring also is worrying me the kit has relays but i don't think it's long enough. is there any one near bridgwater that could help i would like a hand. cheers Paul

i have read that you can take the headlights out without removing the bumper - i have never managed to do it!

to remove the bumper take off the fog light grills and look up to see the hex bolts - one each side.

inside the wings where the bumper meets the wing are three bolts each side.

and there are two bolts which hold the lower bumper to the wheel arch liner each side visable by the wheel.

i think you may need the undertray off too.

once these are removed the bumper pulls forwards and off - you just need clearance, so you won't have to disconnect the fog lights to get the head lamps off.

yeah you can take the headlight out with out removing the bumper takes about ten minutes with the right tools ! had to get the light unit out as the indicator contact had over heated and melted so had to do a bodge repair !

Thanks guys spent about two hours getting the car ready to take bumper off. ie got it up in the air with belly pan off. also took iner arces out and undone bumper bolts. then needed a hand to get the thing off. Wife was still in bed so poped out to get some wire which took ages. got home to find the wife up telling me to ring my dad which turn out to be my Grandad having a heart attact which was not very nice:sadlike: . Decided to finish the job i had started. but i then had the idea of not taking the bumper off just fit the HID's from under the car which was ok untill i had to drill some hole SO I took the bumper off after all and it was alot easyer then i thought unlike the HID's which i still haven't finished because it started to rain and got dark. Hope the HID's are worth it i feel more tierd then on a work day.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP:respekt: it makes things alittle easyer when you have some idea.

I have just odered some HIDs for my 1999 A6 and did not know I was going to have to remove the headlamps.
Why do you need to??

I wanted to take out the headlight to hide the ballest from the MOT man.
In the end the the headlight didn't come out but both inner arches did with the belly pad off I still couldn't drill 4 holes that i needed too so the front bumper had to come off.
Spend alot of time getting the right kit I choose Philips but it always tells me the headlight is out so thats more money and it cost me £208 already.
I am well happy with my hid's apart from the warning on bulb out.

The next problem i am having is one headlight is getting water in any ideas. I don't think it's anything to do with the hid's cheers Paul