1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight Bulbs - How?!

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by jdp1962, May 14, 2006.

1. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[May 14, 2006]
    How on earth does anyone change the headlight bulbs in a B6? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Even if you can reach to release the spring clips holding the covers in place, there just isn't enough space behind the headlights to release the bulb retainers, tease the bulb out and then manouevre the new one into place.

Nightmare!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

[May 14, 2006]
    The 2 screws at the top front need to be removed and the 2 at the back (bottom) need to be just loosened not removed! Then you can begin to ease the lights out ever so slightly....careful not to scratch the bumper though. Than you have enough room to change the bulbs...once you do it once it takes no time at all.
  4. jdp1962

[May 14, 2006]
    Ah, thanks, CJ. I took the top screws out, but of course the assembly wouldn't shift. I saw what I thought were the lower screws, but when I added an extension bar that will allow me to reach them with a hexagonal bit, the bar "slipped" before the screw would give.

Will have another go
  5. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

[May 14, 2006]
    Yeah be careful the bar extension doesn't fall on the undertray or its a nightmare to get it back...im speaking from experience lol. Just do a side to side motion while pulling the light unit out and it should work itself out nicely. Good luck i'm sure you'll be ok jdp! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

p.s maybe use a little towel or cloth and place over the bumper when taking the light out incase it scratches the paint on the bumper.
  6. jdp1962

[May 14, 2006]
    Just finished. All sorted. I've now got Osram Silverstars all round, so can drive at night without using a torch.

Funny you should warn about stuff dropping onto the undertray, as I lost the pesky hexagonal bit just as I was re-tightening the driver's side. Never did see it again, but thankfully had another one to hand to finish the job.

Top Man, CJ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  7. Anito

Anito Member

[May 14, 2006]
    I did my wife's today with some powerbulbs. Not a difficult job but a pig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif
  8. CJ A4

CJ A4 Active Member

[May 14, 2006]
    [ QUOTE ]

Top Man, CJ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No probs mate glad to have helped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif