1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight beam pattern and Xenons

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by cyberdude, May 19, 2004.

1. cyberdude

cyberdude Member

[May 19, 2004]
    Since getting my 2000 A4 in December I have been dissappointed with the performance of the headlights. After reading the forum it seems that the general perception is that the A4 H7 lights suck. I am thinkng of installing Xenons but am wondering if it will make that much difference.

Are the standard h7 lights bad because they are not bright enough or is it because of a bad beam pattern? They certainly don't seem as bright on the road as some other cars (really noticable when passing another car - their lights seem a lot brighter on the road).

I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of installing Xenons only to find it has not made much of a difference. Will I just need to replace the bulbs and add the ballasts or is the actual projector lense different too?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. Jonc

Jonc Member

[May 19, 2004]
    I've swapped the standard h7 bulbs with Osram Silverstar 50% bulbs. There is a big improvement and not too far off HID Xenons. The projector lights cast a very defined beam on the road and does take getting used to but is no worse than other normal halogen lights of other cars. I've adjusted the beam to point slightly higher up so the "cut off" is further away and therefore lights up more of the road.
  4. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy New Member

[May 19, 2004]
    Na HID will be far better, but get 6000K
  5. JaceyBoy

JaceyBoy New Member

6. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[May 20, 2004]
    HID upgrades are largely illegal and will fail your MOT.

there are lots of threads on this, and in one of them a specific response from the DOT.
  7. Jonc

Jonc Member

[May 20, 2004]
    Cyberdude, adjustment for your high beam should be separate from your dipped. The osram bulbs are alot cheaper, and while obviously not as good as HID, they are a lot better than standard IMO. Will you notice several hundred pounds worth of improvement with HIDs? well having owned a car with HID, not really unless you have cash to burn.

Check this links out to find out how to align your headlights

http://www.autooptiks.com/aiming.html
    http://www.dimebank.com/Light-up.html
    http://www.advanceautoparts.com/howtos_tips/automedia_html/ccr/ccr20010801ha/index.html?page=/howtos_tips/automedia_html/ccr/ccr20010801ha/ccr20010801ha.htm

8. cyberdude

cyberdude Member

[May 24, 2004]
    Great JonC. I'll try a pair of the Osrams and see how they are. I'll also carry out a headlight alignment on the weekend if I get time. I wasn't aware that the high beams could be adjusted independantly of the low beam. when I looked under the bonnet I only saw two adjustment screws - for vertical and horizontal adjustment.
  9. cyberdude

cyberdude Member

[May 25, 2004]
    JonC, where did you get your Osrams from and what did you pay? I live in Portugal and have not been able to find them here. I've also searched the net and found prices vary wildly. So far the best I have found is £27.90 for a pair. Is this about right?

I am also a little confused and want to be sure I am looking at the right bulbs. I have seen the Osram Silverstar 50% (H7 12V 55W Osram Silverstar 50%) being referred to as Xenon replacement bulbs. Are these only ment for Xenon (HID) systems or is it the replacement for the stock halogen H7s I am looking for? Just found a s set for £22.90.
  10. Jonc

Jonc Member

[May 25, 2004]
    I got mine from www.powerbulbs.com for around £28. You should be looking at Osram Silverstar 50% H7 as you described. They are only xenon in the fact that the gas used in these halogen bulbs contains, amongst others, xenon to allow the filiment to burn hotter and brighter. These aren't to be confused with HID Xenons that don't use a filiment but an arc of electricy between 2 electrodes as the source of light.