1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

headlight adjustment?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by d18ony, Jun 12, 2010.

1. d18ony

d18ony Donnie Mac

[Jun 12, 2010]
    hello all

just back from my mot and they bloody failed it as the headlights beam is apparently too low. Went to kwik fit as they were cheap, but they didnt know how to adjust, therefore I got the red refusal sheet! Is it possible to manually adjust the headlights? I read some where that there are sensors that sense the way the car is sitting to electronically adjust the beam? A bit miffed that its failed and they want another £24 for a retest.

Mine is a 99 S3.

If anyone could help me out with this it would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Donnie
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. GAudiTech

GAudiTech Member

[Jun 12, 2010]
    It needs to be put in its adjustment setting using VCDS or 5051 before it can be manually adjusted on the headlight units using a 5mm hex key
  4. d18ony

d18ony Donnie Mac

[Jun 12, 2010]
    ok thanks

I take it thats something that has to be done at an audi garage?
  5. GAudiTech

GAudiTech Member

[Jun 12, 2010]
    More than likely unless you have a garage that has vagcom and a beam tester.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  6. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[Jun 13, 2010]
    If you just want to pass the MOT, disconnect the motors from behind the headlights and use an allen key to adjust the beam height. A few turns will raise them considerably, any more and they'll just be pointing to the sky.
  7. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Aug 10, 2010]
    Hi, ive had the same problem with kwikfit failing my mot, one of the problems was the headlamps. They told me they could move them but they either went all the way up or all the way down!? Ive got a feeling the bloke was a muppet and didnt know what he was doing!

I may try disconnecting the motors, i take it they are on the back of the headlamps? Or i do have vagcom, would i be able to adjust them myself?

Thanks guys

Allan
  8. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Sep 18, 2010]
    So just to confirm, how do you use vag com to set the headlight heights? Do you have to put it into MOT mode or adjustment mode like said in this thread, i cant seem to find a answer! Could do with knowing exactly how it's done if anyone knows.

9. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Sep 19, 2010]
    Same here thanks......
  10. Dani_B19

[Sep 19, 2010]
    Surely someone knows?
  11. Danny Cawsey

Danny Cawsey Cawsey

[Sep 21, 2010]
    ive just fitted some new 6k xenons to my new headlights and the left 1 is really low, i dont have vagcom so would it be posible to disconect the motors and just manualy adjust them for the mean time till i get vagcom?
  12. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

[Sep 21, 2010]
    Yer my left one seems to be slightly lower then my right
  13. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

[Sep 21, 2010]
    they have manual adjusters on my preface lift,as well as the auto leveling.......i should know i just set them on our beam tester? either your man looking at the lights is an idiot or the manual adjuster is fubar.
  14. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

[Sep 21, 2010]
    oh and why would it be adjustable in vagcom if it has manual adjusters,you set them on the beam tester and the auto levlers just keep at the level you set,in vagcom you can move them up and down,this is to test the function of the motors but nothing ive seen to set them at a desired hight?
  15. Dani_B19

[Sep 21, 2010]
    Well my manual adjusters are fooked then. I've always been told that you need vagcom to set the correct level because if done manual they just reset to the deafult position, how true that is i dont know but ive been told that many a time now.
  16. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

[Sep 21, 2010]
    probably,the steel shaft rusts then swells and then cracks the plastic cog,looks like its turning but the rod is stationary,seen this many,many times as a tester.
  17. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving VCDS Map User

[Sep 22, 2010]
  18. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Sep 22, 2010]
    Thanks JD09 will try this tonight!
  19. JD09

[Sep 22, 2010]
    Make sure you have a full copy of Vag Com/VCDS as my VCDS Lite was unable to do half the functions I wanted. Like logging certain blocks when logging engine readings and finalising the position of the lights :( So it threw up a fault because I hadn't reset everything!
  20. ChrisSThree

ChrisSThree New Member

[Sep 22, 2010]
    Hi I had the same problem at a recent MOT, I had read on here that you needed VAGCOM to set the headlights, but we tried the manual adjusters anyway. The first time they were adjusted I switched the ignition on and off and they dropped to the same level, but the second time they were adjusted they were fine and have stayed in the same position ever since - which is great as I can now see where I'm going at night!!
  21. Dani_B19

[Sep 22, 2010]
    JD09, you a star mate.

Do you know if the cheapo version that you can buy on ebay will allow you to adjust the headlights?
  22. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

[Sep 22, 2010]
    so if you can adjust them with vagcom you will still have to adjust them at a place with a beam tester as it will still be out and will it be correct or close enough to then use the fine adjustments with the manual adjusters?

off to play with this tomorrow and see how fine the adjustment is me thinks
  23. JD09

[Sep 23, 2010]
    Sorry for the delay Dani. PM replied to fella.

Just to note, if you do not have the registered version of VCDS Lite, you cannot do this adjustment. Mine threw up a fault (00035 or something similar) because I was not able to reset the home position. So I raised and lowered the lights via the "do it!" button, but that was as far as I could go...

Will report back once have paid for and installed VCDS lite.
  24. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

[Sep 24, 2010]
    I did the adjust using vagcom and the headlamps didnt move an inch! I beleive my motors are faulty. Anyway i disconnected the motors and manually adjustment the beams so they were the same level and now they are fine. Cant beleive I had 1 pointing up and the other pointing down! lol
  25. HerefordQuattro

HerefordQuattro Member

[Sep 24, 2010]
    Just been for a quick drive in mine (1st time at night for months!) and the headlights are awful, only got about 10 foot of light in front of car if i turn the fogs on i can see further which is fairly poor for a factory HID setup!!!
    Did a search which brought me to this thread, anyway going on a bit now so opened Elsawin and printed a 6 page pdf of the workshop headlight settings (pm for a copy).:ninja:

basically VAG1551 (or VCDS) is used to put headlights into a 'setting' position then adjusted by screwdriver and then the controler learns the new reference position and the automatic range function should be restored.

all i need now is VCDS:eyebrows:...
  26. HerefordQuattro

HerefordQuattro Member

[Sep 25, 2010]
    well with no access to VCDS at the mo i'm going to have a go at that myself, did you reconnect the motors after?
  27. HerefordQuattro

HerefordQuattro Member

[Sep 26, 2010]
    I managed to adjust mine up to quite an acceptable driving distance without unplugging motors or using VCDS, i'm going to check again tonight but they seem to have stayed where i set them, does this mean my motors are knackered or what? me no understand