1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight adjuster screw/cog

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Rs6mick, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Rs6mick

Rs6mick New Member

Hi people looking under the bonnet of my s3 today and noticed one of my headlights is missing the screw and cog that adjusts it so I thought I can just buy them from Audi but looking at the etka online on the web and it looks like you cannot buy them on there own can someone please help me or point me in the right direction

thanks
  2. Dan-Jnr

Dan-Jnr Active Member

I had this problem too, the garage who did my MOT managed to stick a nut on the adjuster.
    Audi will want to replace the whole headlight if you let them touch it.
  3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

4. vfr800

vfr800 Member

Hi

I assume you're left with this

[​IMG]

Cos this has fallen off?

[​IMG]

It's a bummer.

There is a thread somewhere on here where someone mentions where you can purchase this type of bevelled cog from. I think it was HPC Gears Home page I was going to send them a sample one and they'd make one that would fit.

Unfortunately without this cog the head lights flap up and down when you go over a bump and you cannot (obviously) adjust the lights.

Liam
  5. Slammedorion

Slammedorion Member

Pull it out as far as possible and put a thick zip tie round it... :yes:
  6. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Aren't you supposed to calibrate the lights in VCDS and not really touch those? I just re-calibrated mine after sorting the front and rear sensors and it's miles better.
  7. vfr800

vfr800 Member

No, VCDS calibrates the motorised level adjusters. That puts the motors in theirs default home or middle position.

you then use the manual adjusters to aim the lights where they should be pointing.

the motors merely move both lights up or down a bit to compensate for the loads in your cars, Thats why you have sensors on the front and rear wheel. So that the car knows if there's more weight in the front or back.

liam
  8. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

Ah ok. It is also possible to change the home/default position in VCDS too, if needed.
  9. rhys1210

rhys1210 Member

I had the cog missing on mine. i just went to a scrap yard pull one off of a car and fitted it to mine.