1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlight Adjuster and Dashboard brightness. Need Help to fix this problem. PIC!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Rider4life, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Rider4life

Rider4life Member

[Sep 11, 2013]
    [​IMG]

This is the connector that goes into both roller switches for headlight adjustement and dashboard brightness. Both don't work but switches illuminate when headlights on and dashboard lights work but are dim. What wires do i need to test to check its not a wiring fault? If anyone can give me any advice on how to fix this.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

[Sep 11, 2013]
    Maybe this may help just a little. According to my wiring diagram, pin 5 = ground, Pin 6 = switched power for the indicator leds when interior illumination is needed, pin 4 is fused 12v power from passenger fuse box, and pin 3 goes to the two headlight adjustor units from the roller switch. For the life of me I cannot find what is connected to pins 1,2 and 7. These must be the instrument cluster brightness. From your photo, pins 3,4 5, & 6 have wiring colours correct as per the diagram. Perhaps another member can fill in the gap on 1,2,and 7. First thing I would do is to check pin 5 does indeed go to ground, and pin 4 has power when headlights are working. Good luck.
  4. JohnE

JohnE Active Member

[Sep 11, 2013]
    As above - I was able to simulate the no levelling fault just by pulling fuse 5 from the fusebox at the end of the dash (count back from the front of the car to one of the tiny fuses - mine was 10A although it's listed on my lid as 5/10.

If the fuse is good, do you have power to pin 4? Mine didn't need the headlights on for the levellers to work, but I did have IGN on.

I can't find any reference to the dimmer switch on my wiring diagram so I suspect that may be what's on the other pins. I am 70% sure that the dimmer feeds back into the on board supply unit which then feeds the rest of the panel lighting, but I'm guessing a bit now.