1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headlamp question

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by steveg9, Feb 2, 2008.

1. steveg9

steveg9 Member

[Feb 2, 2008]
    Greetings all

When I collected my A3 3 weeks ago during the handover I was shown some torx screws on the headlamps and told 'that's for changing the lamps for foreign driving' :rtfm: no they aren't........

So does anyone have a template for the masks required, and a diag for their location??? in the past I've bee able to get loads of trips to France out of one sheet of the black sticky back plastic which usually has one mask in the middle. Tight?! You bet:eyebrows:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Feb 2, 2008]
    The only markings I've seen for the 8P A3 have been on the plastic headlamp protectors. I use a set on my previous A3 which had halogen headlamps but I've not used them on my current A3 which has xenon headlamps. I could let you have templates for the actual black bits, but there is no indication on the headlamps where these should be fitted.
  4. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

[Feb 2, 2008]
    I am looking for a source of headlamp deflectors for my French LHD A3 8P Sportback. Or perhaps some instructions on how to mask the lights so we can drive safely in the UK. I have the normal halogen lights. Any advice welcomed. Thanks.
  5. h5djr

[Feb 2, 2008]
    You local Audi dealer should have the plastic headlamp protectors which have the markings for the black patches to mask your lights.
  6. steveg9

steveg9 Member

[Feb 3, 2008]
    Hi - thanks but I was trying to avoid the £'s the stealer will want!!! Like I said - tight, you bet!
  7. Crazyfool

Crazyfool Lead boot

[Feb 3, 2008]
    I have taken my A4 over to France a few times and just used Halfords own make masks. The stickers are around £10 and you just peel them off on the ferry/train on the way back.
  8. RobB

RobB Member

[Feb 4, 2008]
    Get the clearish deflector ones from Halfords or even on the ferry or eurotunnel. The latest packets have an A3 with xenons in the guide list as well as halogens, showing where to stick the circles of plastic.

They peel off at the end of the journey without problem (mine has xenons and I did a lot of night driving) and can be used again. They cost about £7. Much cheaper than spending £100 at the dealer having the alignment changed and reversed as was the recommendation from Audi to me!

I still have some of that old black stuff left over from the 1990s which I use for my wife's car - lasts for ages, but you just have to make sure you don't hack your finger off with the razor blade they provide to cut it with!
  9. RobB

RobB Member

[Feb 4, 2008]
    Such a novel (and very welcome!) attitude from a continental car driver. I imagine you will be the first one to ever ask for such things as I have never seen a foreign car in the UK with deflectors (I live in Kent and travel on the M20 a lot and always get irritated by the bright lights of the LHD cars).

On a serious note, on the ferry, I am sure I saw the same deflector type things as mentioned above available for LHD cars too.
  10. h5djr

[Feb 4, 2008]
    My dealer changed my xenons for my holiday last year and changed them back, for free!