headlamp question

Catalystx

Reaction score
in my headlamps (stock) the bulb n the outer side seems to control everything
the inner bulb dosent seem to be used for anyting. is that the case? shuld that be so?:think:

The inner bulb should be used for main beam and the outer bulb is used for dipped head lights.

If you have Bi-Xenons this may be different though.

If you have Bi-Xenons then the outer unit (bulb) provides both dip and main beam using the Xenon and the inside bulb is a normal 21w bulb (same as a brake light bulb) which provides the Daytime Running Lights.

question, i bught my S3 second hand and didnt get manual. is there n online manul or something? cuse for the life of me i cant figuire out the dip and main beam lights. (used to japanese cars as i m from the caribbean) mening how doi toggle? or when u say main beam do u refer to the 'bright' vs regular? let me know :)

hey forgive my ignorance.

As you have an S3 it has Bi-Xenon headlights as standard. This means that the outer units in the headlights provide both dip and main beams. The inside bulbs provide Daytime Running Lights. Use the dip beam for when you are driving with other cars around you. The dip beam is used so as not to blind other drivers. The same unit also provides the main beam. This should only be used when there are no other vehicles in front of you or coming towards you otherwise your lights will dazzle and blind them.

To change from dip to main you use the left-hand stork below the steering wheel. Push it down for main beam and pull it back towards the steering wheel for dip beam. Pulling it further against it's spring towards the steering wheel will flash you headlights.

As far as a manual for the S3 is concerned, you should be able to order one through your local Audi dealer.

hey dave, very informative. thanks that cleared it up. and i was right in my thoughts the main beam is the what we call (brights) here in the caribbean. it shows as a blue icon on the dash. I have another question. what would cause the car to seem to rev very high but not move much. meaning the car moves but not comparable to the rev of the engine. and i mean really not comparable? i was told that the clutch is burnt out. what do you think?

That sounds very likely to me. It could be just adjustment by I doubt it.

so tell me, whats is the cost for a clutch and pressure plate? in england that is cause if it is bought out here the mark up is crazy.

No I don't think so, but the operation is the same. If he has an old S3 he's using the wrong picture and is in the wrong forum.

I thought it was a bit early to have clutch problems with a new S3!

yup you are right. it is the older version, 2003 old shape

but hey the pic i have up is like yours, meaning that it is not an actual pic of my car.

No problem with what picture you use, but as it's a current S3 I assumed, obviously wrongly, that you were talking about an 8P S3 and not an 8L S3. As you have an 8L S3 you would be better asking your questions in the 8L forum. Perhaps you should add a signature to the bottom of your posts which tells us which model you have - something like mine would be enough!

Anyway the advise I gave applys to both models.

By the way I do own an Audi R10 Le Man racing car - the only trouble is it's a 1:43 scall diecast model !

wow re you kidding, not as advanced as you are so i dont understand the 'trouble' but racing car still awsome.

thanks for your help. to the 8L it is. but why is one called 8L and one 8P?

Peter

8L and 8P are Audis model numbers for the A3. 8L is the model up to 2003. The lastest shape A3 is the 8P. It's an easy way to be sure which model we are talking about.

The 'trouble' with my Audi R10 is that it is a 1:43 scale minichamps model and is only 3 inches long!

lol!!!!! thanks for you help and clarification.

Cheers.