1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headgasket

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Jonesymk2, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jonesymk2

Jonesymk2 Member

I think the head gasket might be starting to go on my s3,I've got an agu engine in it though so would I need to order any specific parts or will I be ok to just give my reg for the parts,I'm going to do the cambelt aswell so again do I need specific parts or everything ok to go with the reg of my car,do the head bolts need changing aswell
  2. darren t

darren t Member

a head gasket kit will do make sure it includes the bolts what makes you think head gasket oil in water or water in oil?
  3. Jonesymk2

Jonesymk2 Member

I went to change the thermostat yesterday and there wasn't a thermostat in the engine,I put the new thermostat in and noticed later that there was mayo on the oil filler cap but I don't know if its just down to the cold weather aswell as I have removed the oil breather system and just vented it to atmosphere,it wasn't useing any water before without the thermostat in so will just keep an eye on it till I get paid again
  4. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

To be fair they are not known for gasket failures so you might be lucky... AGU head as well i presume?
  5. Vex182

Vex182 Guess what I drive...

I agree that it is very rare on these engines. Even when the water pump goes on them and they get hot!
  6. Jonesymk2

Jonesymk2 Member

It's a complete agu engine I put in a few months ago,it's not been using water so it might just be condensation from the **** weather and short journeys to and from work
  7. Flemboy1990

Flemboy1990 New Member

If you ain't using any water, id say breather system, have you got any build up on dipstick or oil in water or other way around?? Cause the breather systems on the engine ain't the best, and ill bet that if you take the Breather pipe off that will probably be clogged up, the weather doesn't help and I you do alot of short journeys that won't help either,