headache

AUDIXXX

Reaction score
For all you that know, Ive got 2x15" subs and amps to run them. Plus a rockford Fosgate Epx2 which i think acts like an eq. Ive been offered the matching amp which is Rockford Fosgate 400Watt. I dont know what to do about the front comps, as im on a tight budget. I need to get speakers to use with that amp... any ideas what power rating the comps should be? I dont want to get a different amp as its such a good deal. Rockford amp, and 2x Rockford powercaps for a very very good price... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif anyways, replies would be appreciated! cheers,
Dom

I dont know whether i should get coaxal speakers and a set of tweeters, or should i get comps. Also, will 5.25" speakers fit if i get the speaker adaptor? I heard there was a clearence problem from the magnet and was wondering what ones i should look at...

Infinity kappa 50.5's seem to be the favourite on here. Good quality at a good price - about £120. The Xovers are a bit bulky so you'll need to mount them behind the glovebox (rather than behind the door cards) which means rewiring the front speakers (but you'd be doing this anyway I guess).
Definately get comps not coax's and they need to be slim fit as the clearance is only about 60mm (the Infinitys just fit using MDF adapters, plastic ones will give you a few extra mm's but they don't always fit properly)

dont bother with the caps, complete waste of money

if you want to do something useful then get a bigger batter (higher CCA rating), 0 guage cable or if you're really flush then a split charge

all will give much better results than caps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I second what AndyMac says, i got the Kappas, they fit well and sound good for the money. I did mount my X overs behind the door cards though, cable tied to the bar running front to rear.

I used the plastic adapters and after a small trim they go in well , i have also ran some sealent around to help

Btw, Im a poor student. This Rockford amp + 2 powercaps is only costin me 100 quid. i think its a better option than anything else, even if the caps are useless, might as well get the amp with them too...

do not use the power caps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

put them on egay or something

they will only give you a bottle neck in the system

what guage power cable do you have and what power are your amps pulling?

if you're trying to go loud a cap will put more of a strain on your charging system than give any real benefit

you dont ever see any of the loud competition cars using caps do you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

again, if you tell me what guage cables you're running and what amps you're running, in terms of RMS power ratings i may be able to recommend something else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

no idea mate, the guy fitting it is supplying cables.

ok, seeing as you have evaded my "how much power are you pulling question" twice

anything 1kw or more you should be running 0 guage

if you want to go loud its all about keeping the voltage high.....

also, make sure you get your amps scoped to make sure they are running optimum and not clipping

Slight overkill. I don't think he's going to be competing in sound offs, he just wants to add an amp.

its not overkill though, 4 guage is only good for around 90 amps over the length of a car, obviously voltage will suffer too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

if you're pulling lots of power its a necessity - with the prices of some of the kits these days from CAD it would be crazy not to go 0 guage

the whole idea of using 0 guage is to keep the voltage high so you get louder

Yes but Dean you're talking over 1300wrms, he's only got 2 amps so I doubt very much he's gonna be pulling anything like 90 amps. And if he is he'll need an uprated alternator & battery. There's no point going to all the additional pain of running 0 guage which won't run down the side of the car, if all he needs is a second 4 guage cable (or even 8) which is a helluva lot easier to run and will fit through the factory grommets.
So as I said for anything below competition spec 0AWG is overkill and a pain in the **** to run.

agreed but it all comes down to what amps are being used, which is why i enquired as to what they are and how much RMS they are rated at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif