Head Unit Question

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Does any manufacturer make a head unit that combines a DAB tuner with on-fascia iPod control?

I'm thinking of swapping out my current Alpine 9823RR for sometihng that will drive my iPod, but I want to be able to mount the iPod away, out of sight. That means choosing a HU that can control the iPod from the HU fascia.

Alpine are doing some nice iPod controllable HUs, but I also want a DAB tuner, & Alpine appear to be igoring DAB altogether.

Sony do a neat looking DAB HU, but it doesn't seem to have on-fascia iPod control. They also do an HU with on-fascia iPod control, but not....well, you get the point.

Does anyone know of a HU that does both in one? It would need to look good in a B5 dash (so a dark grey or back finish with red illumination would be nice) but I've already swapped out all of the OEM speakers for Kenwoods, so no speaker adapters would be needed.

Hope someone can give me some ideas & options.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Jeff, how do you mean "on facia" iPod control?

I have a Sony HU and can control my iPod using the CD changer controls.

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know, but it doesn't have a DAB tuner, does it?

Alpine aren't ignoring DAB, all their latest HU's are DAB ready but you have to buy the tuner as a seperate box hidden away behind the glovebox, a right pain and expensive as well!
The Blaupunkt Woodstock I've got has 2 x Aux in connections but no idea to what degree you can control an iPOD from the front panel.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No DAB tuner on mine, but you say you can get a Sony with a DAB tuner? If so why not just plug in the iPod adapter like i've done?

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No DAB tuner on mine, but you say you can get a Sony with a DAB tuner? If so why not just plug in the iPod adapter like i've done?

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cos according to the ad (Clicky ), it doesn't have a CD changer input:

[ QUOTE ]
Alpine aren't ignoring DAB, all their latest HU's are DAB ready but you have to buy the tuner as a seperate box hidden away behind the glovebox, a right pain and expensive as well!
The Blaupunkt Woodstock I've got has 2 x Aux in connections but no idea to what degree you can control an iPOD from the front panel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too about Alpine, but when I keyed DAB into the search engine on its website, it returned no results, so I thought maybe they'd abandoned the idea. I'll do some more digging around.

Oh Bu@@er.

[ QUOTE ]
Important Note: Contrary to some Sony marketing literature, this product does not have a CD changer connector.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is a lesser model and it has a CD changer imput. How queer.

Kev.

Make sure you're on the UK site as DAB doesn't mean anything anywhere else

That'll do it.
My only issue with the Woodstock is the lack of an independent sub non fading pre-out. I've got my sub linked to the rear pre-outs, which is not ideal. Otherwise it's a very capable unit and I particularly like the Bass EQ function which increases bass at lower volumes so you're not constantly adjusting it and it's straight plug & play on an Audi as it uses the same wiring harness. It also plays MP3 CD's and can record/play onto SD cards.

That looks like me sorted, then. Just need to wait now for my next bonus in May.

I don't use a sub, so that won't be an issue. Bearing in mind I've swapped out the old active rear speakers for Kenwoods, will it still be plug 'n' play? I think my original harness has been altered.

Should be Jeff, as you should have a standard speaker ISO wired for front & rears, whereas the Audi speaker ISO is only wired for fronts.

One more question, Andymac. Which aerial do you use with the Woodstock? There seems to be a choice of four.

I got the bundle which included the Blaupunkt Autofun internal glassmount aerial. They still do the bundle at caraudiodirect
Woodstock