Head unit not turning on in a3 8p

Orange225

Reaction score
Hi.
Ive recently fitted an aftermarket head unit into my a3. My rear speakers and sub are barely loud enough to hear and distort really easily, while trying to suss it out, a wire touched the cage of the head unit and sparked then wouldn't fire up again. Checked the fuse on the rear of the head unit, which was fine, and found a blown fuse in the engine bay fuse box. I changed the fuse but it's not firing up again. Any help appreciated

There's also a fuse box on the right hand side below (ish) the steering wheel that can be accessed by opening the drivers door and popping off the panel, most likely you'll find a blown fuse in there bud!

Hmmm think it could be bad news then. Did exactly the same on my Peugeot 206 a few years back with an aftermarket head unit (touched the cage with the ignition wire and sparked) and was thinking that after a fuse change all was fine... but thinking about it Im pretty sure I had to bin the HU, it was fried (and I think the HU fuse was actually fine!?). Don't think the fuses are built to handle that kind of short out, or if touching the cage even runs through the fuse, probably just fries the motherboard directly through the cage ground. :sorry:

AppRadio 2 :happy: I'm running 2 front JL audio components (just in last week) and sub with an infinity amp, sounds tasty! :gun2:

Thanks. I'll look into that. Just got some clarion components and the one I've fitted so far sounded good. Bit of a pain wiring things up when your colourblind.

Oh no, shame! I didn't even wire them up using the colours, just used a voltmeter to make sure, shout if you need a hand!