Head scratcher....

armourer1

Reaction score
Hi, Weird and wonderful fault with my q5 (2.0 TDI 170 BHP S tronic) which i just can't find the answer to. Basically the car when driving feel like your driving down a farm track!! The ride is really bumpy albost like you have a flat spot on a tyre or alloy.
I thought maybe I was experiencing a gearbox fault but it's not a jerk forwards or backwards it's more up and down vibration. Also I can put it in neutral and it still feels the same.
I have noticed the revs hunting occasionally about 100rpm but I dont think this effects the drive really from what I can feel.

Any help would be great!!

Have you checked your tyres?

There is something they call sawtooth effect on tyres (happens a lot on Golfs) whereby the alignment of the wheels is out and as a result the tread on the tyres wear unevenly to the point the tree pattern instead of being flat is jagged like a sawtooth |\|\|\|\

This causes vibration/rumbling and a strange feeling through the steering wheel.

Also the camber of the wheel might be out causing the inner edge of the tyres to wear.

Worth checking - I had it on my previous car and the mechanic showed me the tyres and a new set plus Hunter 4 wheel alignment got it all sorted.

Then could be also engine mounts, as you describe it, is juddering from engine, check also timing of it.