1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head light switch

matt116 Oct 24, 2005

1. matt116

matt116 Member

Just a quick one if someone can help. My head light switch is illuminating intermittently (sp?)
    It is only the headlight section as the fog and switch light up as they should. I have checked and it would appear that I can get to the unit via the fuse board at the end of the dash, but my question is what will I find, do I replace a bulb or could it be a loose wire?

Many thanks

Matt

2. Kevint

Kevint Active Member

The unit pops out, there's no need to gain access via the fuse board.

I think it was a4sline that posted how to to it in the tech section, hang on I'll see if I can find it.

Kev.

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

To remove the switch, you need to puch the lightswitch nob inwards(it's spring loaded) then rotate it left and pull the whole unit out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

4. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Mine does exactly the same thing - nothing obvious to replace when you do get the light switch out so I reckon it is a new switch job. Hence decided to live with it.

5. matt116

matt116 Member

Thanks lads, I must say this site is excellent.

I thought the same as you jcs356, a whole switch unit, thanks Audi but I may have a look anyway.

Thanks again

Matt

6. matt116

matt116 Member

Sorry to be a pain, but just had a go at removing the switch and it will push in and turn to the left a little but it won't go any further.
    Should it just pop out or do I need to be really forceful. If I do get it out will the whole unit come out as I would have thought the lights are built into the whole surround thats why I thought about the rear access. Make sense or am I rambling on?

7. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

Hi, from memory, the switch comes out with the curved piece of plastic around it. Just a gentle tug should do it.

8. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

isnt it to the right you turn it?