Head gasket

Pro-cookie

Reaction score
Hi guys, went and gave car once over earlier and discovered whit stuff under oil filler cap! Only a light misting but when it was off I noticed air or exhaust gas blowing out of filling point I don’t recall if that is normal? Took the car for a drive and it doesn’t seem down on power and the misting of white stuff has gone. I’ll try and upload a video in a bit.

Hi guys, went and gave car once over earlier and discovered whit stuff under oil filler cap! Only a light misting but when it was off I noticed air or exhaust gas blowing out of filling point I don’t recall if that is normal? Took the car for a drive and it doesn’t seem down on power and the misting of white stuff has gone. I’ll try and upload a video in a bit.

It’s normal for some condensation build up when short journeys don’t allow the engine to warm up fully. Keep an eye on it for now, is your coolant mix strong enough?
Oil coolers are a common failure on these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the coolant mix is good it’s the red coolant mixed at Audi garage. So you don’t think the blowing coming up through the oil filler point is anything to be worried about? I can’t remember if this is normal or not?
Trying to upload video and it’s not letting me at moment

Yes the coolant mix is good it’s the red coolant mixed at Audi garage. So you don’t think the blowing coming up through the oil filler point is anything to be worried about? I can’t remember if this is normal or not?
Trying to upload video and it’s not letting me at moment

Check this part out, another common fail item and it controls pcv function.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/151533017406

Where about would that be? I don’t recall seeing anything like it lol

Below the inlet manifold, the elbow exiting the block breather connects to it.
As in this link, this is on 1.8t but I’m sure N/A engine is the same set up.

I had a mk3 golf with the same problem was just the pcv system I removed a lot of it a fitted a catch tank stopped the condensation in the top of the engine block that causes the Mayo effect on the oil cap it's the highest part of the engine that's why it hit there

Ok thanks is it something that can be cleaned out or do they have to be replaced? And did yours blow air through the oil filler?

Didn't check to be honest how much milliage do you do a week

Well last year I did a grand total of 2700 miles lol. Most of the time it sits in the garage getting cleaned and I just make sure the battery is ok.

That will be your problem mate the car is just not getting a proper run this time of year with being cold and damp is bad take it for a good run the problem with are engines is the fans are always running which takes even longer to get to tempreture

it'll just be the cold weather and condensation. If its not getting a decent long run to fully warm the engine thru (like 20mins+) then small amounts of white might form on the cap

Ok thanks guys I’ll take it for a long run tomorrow. There is an Audi garage in Poole I’ll pop in and get a pc valve and hope that stops blowing.

B4D1F50B 5A6F 4C72 A0ED 6DB38C08EA2B
Ok guys one other thing I was doing a search for bits and I was reminded about this. What is it for? Mine snapped but I managed to repair it. Only trouble is I don’t know if it’s working correctly I thought it opened and closed when the throttle opened and shut but mine opens at about 2000rpm then stays open permanently until I switch off engine then it slowly closes usually takes a couple of hours and it’s completely shut. Is this right? And what’s it for?
Thanks in advance guys.

View attachment 146572 Ok guys one other thing I was doing a search for bits and I was reminded about this. What is it for? Mine snapped but I managed to repair it. Only trouble is I don’t know if it’s working correctly I thought it opened and closed when the throttle opened and shut but mine opens at about 2000rpm then stays open permanently until I switch off engine then it slowly closes usually takes a couple of hours and it’s completely shut. Is this right? And what’s it for?
Thanks in advance guys.

Is the part number on it visible? If so take a note of it and do a search, you will find it’s name and function that way

Yeah checked that and couldn’t see a anything what so ever, will keep doing the homework. Thanks guys.