1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Head gasket done, but still! There's a leak :o

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Priggy, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Priggy

Priggy New Member

[Mar 22, 2013]
    Changed my head gasket last weekend with the typical cuts and bruises, many stops for tea and the occasional drive to halfords! (Needed the "ribe" tool to remove head bolts! 27 pound thanks audi ;))

But it turns out I still have a god damn leak!! Im guessing this must be the water pump, either boiling? The water and therefor it's disappearing on me, or generally have a leak coming out of it. But I've never changed a water pump on an a3 and was wondering if anyone could give a few pointers to minimise the time it will take. It's suppose to snow soon so will have to work fast haha. I've got a replacement pump which oonly cost me 29 pound surprisingly.

Is it a quick job or will I have to spend alot of time fiddling with the cambelt etc.

ive got a audi a3 1.6 SE

any help is appreciated cheers!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. Danno57

Danno57 Member

[Mar 22, 2013]
    I would purchase some UV coolant leak detection dye along with a UV torch before throwing any more money at parts, then hopefully you can pinpoint the leaks location when the engines up to temperature. As for the water pump you might as well do the cambelt, tensioner etc at the same time. It's quite a big job.
  4. phil miller

phil miller Member

[Mar 22, 2013]
    did you have the head skimmed? did the old gasket have signs of where it had blown?
  5. A3_130

A3_130 Member

[Mar 24, 2013]
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 24, 2013]
    The 1.6 is common to develop cracks, did you get it pressure tested and skimmed?