1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

head gasget -oh dear!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by audibhoy, May 12, 2010.

1. audibhoy

audibhoy pedal 2the metal!

hey guys,

having a nightmare, anybody knw how much a new headgaget for a A3 2.0tdi sport would be plus fitting???? or would it be cheaper to buyt a reconditioned engine.....after that she is getting sold!!!

CIA
  2. fgaffney

fgaffney Member

Is it just the gasket or do you need a new head? I was recently quoted £1400.00 from an Independent to have my head replaced. This was broken down as £1000 for parts and £400 for labour (8 hours). I think the head alone was £681 + VAT (that was for an Audi made head). That quote didn't include a new cambelt which I think is another £82 or a new water pump which I'm having done at the same time.

Like you I have a '53 plate TDi 140 Sport but fortunately I'm having all the work done 'under warranty'.
  3. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

If it just the head gasket it shouldn`t cost to much if it`s the head then your looking at £1000 + easy for parts and labour. If you do want a replacement head i have several secondhand BKD heads and two engine in stock at the moment.
  4. kkp0897

kkp0897 Member

I need to change jobs.. being a grease monkey paying £400 a day sounds far more lucrative.
  5. fgaffney

fgaffney Member

That was from an Independent too. When I owned my Merc C200 I was charged £100+VAT by the dealer for an hour's labour just to hook it up to their diagnostic machine... only to then be told I needed a new gearbox costing £3,300.00!!!

WTF :( !!!
  6. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Is it really bad? If its just loosing a bit of water & your selling it you could try using k-seal, its pretty good :whistle2: