1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDD support with technology pack

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by balsaq, Jun 11, 2014.

1. balsaq

balsaq Member

Just wondering if anyone is successfully running HDDs greater than 500gb (preferably 2.5 inch) for their music files with the tech pack.

From what I've seen most are running max 500gb and wondering if that's some sort of limit or if 3.5 inch drives were used which required a greater power input from usb.

Cheers
  2. The Challinor

The Challinor Well-Known Member

Can't see anyone wanting to use a 3.5" drive really as will mean you have to use a external power supply.n
    You running 2.5" 500GB drive now then? Meant to support upto 2TB
  3. balsaq

balsaq Member

Nor me. I just wanted to know if anyone has been successful with a larger capacity HD, regardless of size.

Nah, car is at dealers, arranging pick up soon. Trying to figure if I just go for it and order a 1tb 2.5 drive and caddy and hope it works. I'll post up my results anyway for anyone else who wishes to know.

If it wasn't for my use of flacs (and stubborness against transcoding to mp3s) I'd be fine ;)

I've got a 250 i can try, but since I know 500s work from previous threads, then that doesn't really answer the question.
  4. The Challinor

Mine is due November so not much help there lol
  5. Foshiznik

Foshiznik Member

Look forward to hearing your results Balsaq. Mine isn't ready 'til september, so would be good to know whether it is worth a purchase.
  6. balsaq

balsaq Member

Just got car today. Had a quick play with some rather interesting results. I'll do some more "tests" to have a more comprehensive post, but as a teaser, it appears I have a 1tb drive working fine playing flacs.

Will post more info soon
  7. The Challinor

Be interesting to see how a 2.5" performs with bad bumps etc although they are designed for "mobile" use
  8. monopole

monopole pro-monopole-ish-ism-istic

i would suspect they would fair well, having a large cache giving no skips in the music and like you say, designed for "mobile" use so fairly resilient to g loads
  9. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

Never really considered using a hard drive - do you just connect via the AMI-USB cable? What kind of interface does it give you - do you just see the folder structure on the drive or can you browse by metadata, so artist, album, genre etc etc?

Might be an interesting option if you can use lossless formats like WAV or FLAC.

As for resilience, 250/500GB SSDs are coming down in price quite significantly now.
  10. The Challinor

Presume so yer, just the same as SD card. Got loads of 2.5" drives lying around so may just chuck my music onto one and some videos, etc
  11. pat15312

pat15312 Active Member

SSD would be your best bet, not that expensive anymore.
  12. balsaq

balsaq Member

Bah, don't be so soft. If hard drives were that weak people's laptops and old school ipods would be failing left right and centre (they live in cars as much as a dedicated drive would).

SSDs are great, I've got a few in some of my machines at home, but completely overkill for a few media files. It's great they're coming down in price, but I'd rather pay £40 for 1tb for my music than £350 for the same capacity ssd...

Yup, that's what I've done, all the interface is there, folder structure, album "swipe" view. As above, I'll try and get a more comprehensive post up soon with a few more tests (album art sizes, possible file number limits etc).
  13. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

I'll consider a hard drive when I fill my 64GB SD card and still need more!
  14. glospete

glospete Active Member

That will be very interesting - thanks.
  15. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

16. Vertigo1

That'd be most appreciated! :)
  17. The Challinor

Agreed a SSD would be over kill TBH
  18. Vertigo1

Does the MMI have to scan/index the contents of the drive though in order to allow searching by artist, genre, etc etc?

If so then I'd imagine scanning several hundred gigabytes of data would be significantly faster on an SSD.

Then again, the USB interface speed would be the limiting factor unless it's USB3 compatible (yeah right!)
  19. The Challinor

Yer, presume it's USB2
  20. Foshiznik

Foshiznik Member

So... Did the HDD work ok?!
  21. balsaq

balsaq Member

Sorry I haven't forgotten this thread, haven't had much time to play with the car much recently. This is what I've found so far though:

I can say that I've had no troubles with running a 1tb hard disk (this one). I chose this one as it had a relatively low power draw. It is snappy with the interface and I notice no skipping or issues of any kind (even on the most bumpy of roads).

I currently use this "caddy": (linky). This was purely to give a level of cushioning and grip, rather than crashing around and sliding in the usual plastic/metal caddies. It does get a little warm, as you'd expect, but nothing concerning.

Artwork wise, in the tech pack, I can confirm that 800x800 appears to be the limit, going above displays no artwork.

And the biggest disappointment I've found is that there appears to be a 10,000 file limit. I'm currently trying various ways of getting around this.

As mentioned above, flacs work natively with full tag support which I'm very happy about.
    Foshiznik likes this.
  22. Foshiznik

Foshiznik Member

Great work mate!

do you need to buy a USB to MMI/AMI cable to connect it?
  23. balsaq

balsaq Member

You should get it included with your phone compatible cable when you pick your car up. Dealer really shouldn't charge for these, I'm sure most just throw them in on pick up like mine did.

I got a pack with a lightning and usb adapter. I presume usb comes with all packs, but can't say for sure.
  24. marshalld

marshalld aka dazzler

It mentions this in the MMI manual (page 33) - "USB mass storage device and memory cards: max. 10000 files per medium"

The "per medium" suggests to me you could have 10000 files on the HDD and then another 10000 files on separate SD card(s).

Gets you to 30000 files - that's a lot of music!
  25. balsaq

balsaq Member

Blimey, a manual with worthwhile information! Maybe I should've given it a read. I'd have played around the same regardless anyway. Always worth checking to see how far you can push things. I'm still going to try and find various ways around the limit. Doubtful I'll be successful, but we'll see!

It may sound bonkers, but I have over 20k songs in my collection currently, hence why I'm a tad disappointed. ;-)
  26. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

Wonder how many I've got on mine. Not that many certainly but must be quite a lot... I've got 32GB of music (mixture of albums and radio shows) on my 64gb card at the moment, but have a lot more on my computer I could transfer across.
  27. Foshiznik

Foshiznik Member

Just got my car and am trying to get my external HDD to work with no luck so far. I have it formatted as NFCS. Should it be FATS32?

Sorry for the noob question!
  28. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

That'll work...
  29. The Challinor

That's a good price for USB3 !
  30. The Challinor

Should be NTFS I imagine as FAT32 only supports files up to 4GB in size, could also be exFat I guess.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  31. balsaq

balsaq Member

I didn't try NTFS, I read before that it didn't work. exFat threw up an unreadable message when trying to access the drive in the car. FAT32 works perfectly and is what I've been using.

You can format drives larger than 32gb using fat32 fine. The only issue you could come across is a 4gb single file limit if you're looking at large video files I guess

A handy program to use in a latter operating system (since many won't let you format other than exfat and ntfs) is this: Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd