1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Haynes - Worth it?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by rossbrownlee, Sep 4, 2009.

1. rossbrownlee

rossbrownlee Ross_S4

Hi all,

Is there enough common between the A3 and S3 to make it worthwhile buying the haynes manual? I don't even know if the haynes covers quattro A3.

Thoughts...?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Just get yourself a copy of Elsawin mate 3.62 & this will be all you need for your car.

4. jesters3

jesters3 Active Member
    VCDS Map User

No the Haynes does not do the S3 or Quattro however covers pretty much anything else. I use a mix of VAGCAT, AS.NET and Haynes for all my needs. ELSA is good but means lugging around a laptop to have a look at something rather than flicking through a Haynes manual to find out what you want.

5. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat
    Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Yes but elsawin covers absolutely everything for many cars including the ones asked about, I'd rather lug about a laptop than a poxy manual tbh, once you learn your way around elsa its a piece of cake & tbh an absolute godsend, with my turbo blowing in slovenia, towed to italy & chaging everything over including the turbo for hybrid I wouldnt be able to do by myself without it, now I know hwo to do like back of hand, Elsa mate all the way cause AS net search & awaiting answers can be painfully slow at times.

6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

can't believe Haynes manuals are still in business. Worse than useless. With their terrible grainy b/w photo's, hopeless index and write ups bearing no relation to the real world at all. "and just remove the pinchbolt". I'm sure they've never actually worked on any of the cars they write about. Forums and tech articles on AW are far more useful & real world.

7. Davsurfa

Davsurfa Member

Are you mad?!? The haynes is perfect for kneeling on(it stops all gravel indents on your knees) and when laying under your car they are superb as headrests!!! And they are most useful for swatting wasps, bees and any assistant mechanics who are annoying you. Plus once you have bought one you don't need to change it just cuz you've changed your vehicle. They are the MOST universal tool anyone could buy!!

8. rossbrownlee

rossbrownlee Ross_S4

:lmfao:
    okay, getting the picture....