Having second thoughts!

Yes, I don't really think anyone is going to have their hair set alight by a diesel. You buy a diesel for economy end of story. If you opted for the TDi for any other reason then you bought the wrong car. I don't think you can write off the whole of the A3 family based on the dullness of a TDi. I have a TDi A4 Avant BTW. It is purely a working vehicle, we had no expectations that it would excite or delight other than the money it makes on the company fuel allowance.

The economy on our 2.0TQ has just started to really improve after 5.5k miles. It was averaging about 24-25mpg since weve had it, doing mainly shortish journeys(15miles a day) with a few long runs. In the last two weeks though it has rteally improved and regularly is over 28mpg on the same runs. I must add that although it isnt flat out all the time it isnt driven to save fuel and has a fair amount of stick.

One word of advise though is don't bother with the piano finish, it looks really nice but after six months of onwership it is already looking scratched from when I put it in to be valeted. It's finish is far to soft to be used in a car.

AndyMac said:
You buy a diesel for economy end of story. If you opted for the TDi for any other reason then you bought the wrong car.
Company car tax.

I worked out that, combining the extra tax and fuel I'd use, a 2.0T would cost me around £80-£100 extra per month over the 170 diesel which frankly I just couldn't justify. If it had been more like £30 I'd have been tempted but £80+ every month is a serious chunk of cash.

We had a C270 estate for a year or so and it simply could not compete with the A3 as regards performance or handling and I would not really say that the build quality was better (but we have only had the A3 a couple of months). In fact it developed a mysterious fault (sudden refusal to accelerate from a steady 80 - nice when you're trying to overtake!) which the dealer could not reproduce or diagnose. That coupled with the lack of 4 wheel drive (we live in the sticks) led to its sale.
Enjoy the A3!

vagman said:
What a load of utter, utter *****.

Trolls, eh.

Sorry ?
You trying to tell me all the rattles squeaks and creaks in my car are figments of my imagination ?
Same with the knocking suspension (common fault) ?
Same with the excessive oil consumption (also reported on here by several owners) ?
How about the faulty fuel filler cap,that meant I couldn't fill my car up(common fault again) ?
How about the iffy starting ?

Believe me,I've enough going on in my life without making car problems up.

All cars go wrong from time to time and we all speak as we find. I’ve had no problems so I think they’re great. I could take delivery of my new A3 and it could all change.

What happened to good old German engineering? Mercedes, BMW and Audi all seem to have more problems, so what do you buy. The Japanese now seem to be the quality manufacturers with an increasing reputation for reliability and quality service. Unfortunately they just have no class.

roadrunner said:
Unfortunately they just have no class.

The new Lexus is very classy indeed.
Haven't test driven one yet.
I've been waiting for the 'sport' version,with shorter gearing,as the tests said the standard one was hopelessly over-geared.
High price and very high CO2 rating though.
It's CO2 is 196,which is way higher than the equivalent Audi or BMW.

The Honda Accord has a fantastic engine,but is too much of an old-bloke's car for me.

The Honda Civic is just amazing,I love it.
It's one of those 'classless' cars,like the Golf.
Can be owned by anyone from chav to gentry.
Speccing one up is quite expensive though.
Over £20K for the spec I would want,but still just a fantastic piece of design,in and out.

How Bizarre, I priced up a civic yesterday after following one into work. I was shocked at the final cost though! Started off reasonabley priced but add a few nice options and the price escalates...

I had a Lexus for a while. A Soarer, direct import from Japan. It was seriously impressive and a joy to drive. But there’s something about Japanese cars… it’s an image thing I guess. They’re just not me. Totally emotional nothing to do with being logical and rational.

A pal of mine has just bought a new pointy Civic and took me for a spin. What an engine! WOW performance. Lots of interesting features and loads of extras. Well thought out… especially liked the way the rear seats folded up and the digital dashboard display. On the down side a bit noisy, awful rear visibility and bit unsure about the puncture repair kit in place of spare wheel. Altogether a well engineered car but so Japanesey. It lacks that solidity of German engineering.

bowfer said:
Over £20K for the spec I would want,but still just a fantastic piece of design,in and out.
Yes, that new Type-S does look very smart, although its **** does take some getting used to.

Astonishingly smooth and refined diesel engine too.

marriedblonde said:
How Bizarre, I priced up a civic yesterday after following one into work. I was shocked at the final cost though! Started off reasonabley priced but add a few nice options and the price escalates...

The way they spec the cars is a tad 'restrictive'.
For example,the Civic 'sport' comes with the panoramic glass roof.
You can't have one without it ( I wouldn't want it ).
So you look at the EX model instead.
No panoramic roof,but it comes with Satnav,which obviously bumps the price up.
Again,you can't have it without Satnav ( I don't want Satnav either ).

So,it wouldn't matter which model I went for,I'd be getting something I really didn't want ( daft roof or ****** useless-to-me Satnav ).

I believe they are listening to their customers though,and starting to offer different options on different models.

d3fy said:
Swap the TDi for 2.0T then mate? Or just invest in a remap. Mine goes and grips and I can't wait to get it remapped to add another 60 ponys

Agree with the remap, totally transforms the car with little affect on MPG :)

bowfer said:
Fantastic piece of design? What car are you talking about??? I think the new Civic is just daft - different, yes, but totally over-designed to the point of madness. Look at this picture and consider the word "ergonomics", which the Civic designers clearly haven't heard of:

[URL="http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_46/car_photo_23390_5.jpg"][URL="http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_46/car_photo_23390_5.jpg"][URL="http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_46/car_photo_23390_5.jpg"][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Total horror story: let's just throw everything at the dashboard and see what sticks.

Civics are incredibly plasticky inside.

The aluminium trim is actually silver painted plastic and it doesn't last - I've seen 2 demos where the 'silver' was already coming off from people's hands.

As for the pic above - too many different shaped buttons everywhere! Car is nice from the outside, just low rent interior IMO.

Just about every mainstream car on the market is plastic inside... Some you pay to have the extended leather to cover those plastics...

benw123 said:
Fantastic piece of design? What car are you talking about??? I think the new Civic is just daft - different, yes, but totally over-designed to the point of madness. Look at this picture and consider the word "ergonomics", which the Civic designers clearly haven't heard of:

[URL="http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_46/car_photo_23390_5.jpg"][URL="http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_46/car_photo_23390_5.jpg"][URL="http://www.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_46/car_photo_23390_5.jpg"][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Total horror story: let's just throw everything at the dashboard and see what sticks.

I think it's the opposite.
They've let ergonomics dictate where everything goes.
I certainly found everyting very well placed.
With regard to the looks,perhaps I'm just so used to 'dull' or 'safe' styling,inside and out,that I find the Civic a refreshing change.
I certainly didn't think it was plasticky inside,not at all.
I think it looks the business,but only with the optional 18" wheels.
Even 17's are way too small for it.

buy one then and get your happy self on the honda forum..........

nb said:
buy one then and get your happy self on the honda forum..........

Can you point me towards one ?
See if there are as many repetitive faults on there ?
Forewarned is forearmed.

well im sure someone on here could tell you where to go.........and i'll keep my audi and take my chances on the dull looking, boring, badly made, overpriced, overhyped pile of metal on wheels that it is

benw123 said:

I know the dashboard may look a bit thrown together in the photo but it is in fact well thought out. When you sit in the driver’s seat it all works well. The digital speedo is great and things are generally where you want them to be.

It doesn’t feel cheap and plasticy but on the other hand it'’s definitely not the quality of an Audi nor does it have the same feel of class.

Have been offline for a few days! Thanks for all the replies to the original question, although the thread definitely went at a tangent a few times :jester: I have ordered the A3 Sportback, was first quoted delivery date of 22nd December which matched return date on lease car (almost) and was in time for christmas. Last contact (which I instigated) with the garage was "dont hold us to that, expect some time in January" !?!?! From your experiences, how should I approach this? Either take the lease extension penalty or push the Audi garage for the original delivery date?

We've had the same scenario several times and the dealer has always given us a free loan car until the new car is delivered.
We've never had to ask,they've always just done it by way of apology/goodwill.

If they have quoted december and now are quoting january get the dealer to loan you a car. Why should you pay for the extension when they have messed up. You might have to swap out the loaner though during that time though depending on what they loan you.

J.