1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having front suspension replaced

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by doublem_1, Mar 16, 2012.

1. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

I have booked in to have my front suspension replaced in a few days time. I am just trying to make sure I have all the bits. I have the shock absorbers, springs, top mounts, bearings.

Is this everything? I have a feeling something is missing...
  2. Paradox1

Paradox1 Active Member

Sounds about right.
  3. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

Just when I try and picture the bits going together I can't work out what is going to hold the spring under tension. Or does it the top mount get sandwiched between the chassis and the springs?
  4. murran

murran Active Member

you mean the upper/top spring cap? the lower cap is part of the shocker. the upper one they'll remove from your excisting strut once its off the car, along with the bumpstops and dust covers to fit with your new bits and bobs.

hows your anti roll bar bushes and links? lower ball joints and wishbone bushes?
  5. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

top spring plate goes under the top mount itself and is held on by a nut. This holds the spring/ strut combo together. The topmount then goes itno the turret with the plate and another nut to ho;ld it to the car
  6. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

Ah Ok thanks guys. I have replaced the anti roll bar bushes recently as well as the drop links last MOT. Not sure about the rest. I will get them checked though.