1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having doubts about my A3 Order

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by mark88, Aug 10, 2005.

1. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't look at my MPG any more... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean Slimbloke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  2. little_wing

little_wing Member

what's mpg? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
  3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Miles per gallon - which is rather silly when Petrol and Diesel are sold by the Litre.

About 28.2mpg for a 3.2 DSG and 48.7mpg for a 2.0 TDI DSG according to Audi !
  4. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

David, I think 'Wing was being tongue in cheek, seeing as he drives a gas-guzzling monster, etc! ;-)

Let's see, with my size 12 LEAD FEET, I average 13L/100km (French version of mpg), so:

100 kilometers = 62.5 miles,

13 Liters = 3.4 US Gallons

or

13 Liters = 2.8 UK Gallons

(I think the US Gallon is what is actually used in the UK, go figure!)

So, using the US gallon, I average:

62.5 miles / 3.4 US gallons = 18.38 mpg!

or

62.5 miles / 2.8 UK gallons = 22.32 mpg!

Yikes!

I mean, YIKES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. imported_o_rawlinson

imported_o_rawlinson Guest

I had an A3 TDI sport and have now changed it for a TDI Quattro S-Line. Before going diesel I had an RX8 and test drove a Boxster and Z4 but I will never go back to a petrol car because there is nothing better then being faster than other run-of-the-mill cars but still get 40-50 MPG!

When its cold the Audi 2.0 TDI does indeed sound a little noisy but drive it and all is forgotten.
  6. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

You probably right JaminBen, but it's still daft that in the UK we still talk about Miles per Gallon when you cannot buy a gallon of fuel.

It's like most things - we cannot make up our mind whether we want to use the metric system or not. Fortunately, as I worked as an Architectural Technician and the construction industry changed to metric in 1972 I understand both. Most of the younger guys that I have worked with don't now what a gallon is, or a foot (apart from the one hanging on the bottom of the leg) or an inch etc. I just wish we would make our mind rather than use one system and teach another at school.

Rant over - I must go out and buy some more litres of diesel and work out my mpg !
  7. little_wing

little_wing Member

Yup - sorry David, I was being a little facetious. I do indeed know what mpg is, but sometimes I wish I didn't.

It is odd that we still use mpg when I have a hard time envisioning what a gallon is, but litres/100km just means nothing to me.

Thankfully work pays for the vast majority of my petrol, or I'd probably have to sell the wife and first born son...
  8. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

Perhaps we should have a particularly 'British' unit of say miles per litre or miles per 10 litres. At least that would have some resemblance to the way we actually buy petrol / diesel.

How is fuel sold in the USA and do they use mpg I wonder. Mind you the US gallon is different from the UK gallon anyway.

The thing I have trouble with about the continental litres/100km is that the larger the numbers the better whereas with mpg it's the other way round - smaller is better.

I have actual added a small spreadsheet to my PDA which converts from mpg to litres per 100 km because I cannot be both to work it out. The strangest combination is when I take my A3 on holiday to, usually Austria via France and Germany. My DIS shows mpg, my odometer shows miles, but I buy diesel in litres and of course all the distances on signs etc are in km - all very confusing. Still it keeps the old brain ticking over !
  9. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

I'm still laughing out loud at some of your cracks, David and 'Wing! It's making my sunday at work a lot more pleasant ;-)

I hadn't realised there were a UK and a US Gallon, until I looked it up for my little calcs above.

The US sells fuel, and milk ;-) by the gallon, and use mpg.

David, you could always swich your dis to metric when o the continent...
  10. Mark_N

Mark_N Member

[ QUOTE ]
    it does run out of puff by 100, but that's not a bad thing really!

[/ QUOTE ]

Albeit chipped, I've had my car at about 142MPH (on a runway!) and it got there a lot quicker than my 1.8T GTI ever could so the above comment is rubbish.

And so are the "sounds like a tractor" comments. Yeh it's not as quiet as a petrol but the tractor **** makes me laugh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

The only time I hear the engine enough to know it's a diesel is sitting at lights with the radio turned down low.
  11. Giblet

Giblet Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    it does run out of puff by 100, but that's not a bad thing really!

[/ QUOTE ]

Albeit chipped, I've had my car at about 142MPH (on a runway!) and it got there a lot quicker than my 1.8T GTI ever could so the above comment is rubbish.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I already said, I'm comparing it to my 3.2. I'm not saying the car stops accelerating at 100, but the acceleration does just drop off at these speeds. (hardly surprising). My TDI has only done 1000 miles still, as somebody else stated it will get better.

So my statement was not rubbish after all.
  12. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

I'm sorry I’ve tried to refrain myself from this thread as I don't go around actively insulting people.

BUT it is clear you cannot afford these cars, if you are so worried about an insurance premium then you CAN'T afford the car.

Why on hell didn’t you try and purchase a second hand A3 2.0T fully loaded, have the same satisfaction of a new car and with the killer savings you could sleep at night knowing the insurance wasn't going to sting you after all.

Cheers
  13. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

PS. Im 25 with a BMW 120d ES and my insurance is £895.00 full comp for 12,000 miles cap with £150.00 excess. I have one motoring conviction, live in an E* risk area, and have 2 Years NCB. I would shop arround.
  14. mark88

mark88 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm sorry I’ve tried to refrain myself from this thread as I don't go around actively insulting people.

BUT it is clear you cannot afford these cars, if you are so worried about an insurance premium then you CAN'T afford the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but you know nothing...

Just because I can afford something, doesn't mean I'm willing to pay for what it is. I'm sure everyone has had enough money in their pocket to buy something yet didn't because it was more than they are willing to pay. This is simply the case with me for the insurance on a 2.0T atm. The insurance of a 2.0T being nearly double that of a 2.0TDI(for me).

I paid for the MINI in cash, I'll pay for the A3 in cash outright aswell. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but that doesn't sound like someone who can't afford these cars does it?
  15. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

Sorry in my opinion, if you want something that bad then you just pay for it if you can afford it without any after thoughts.

As for your comment on " I'm sure everyone has had enough money in their pocket to buy something yet didn't because it was more than they are willing to pay". What a load of tosh, this is insurance were talking about, its not a fixed price, it’s not a physical object, it's expensive, you need it, so if you want cheap insurance get a mini metro.

If you want the car then face the costs.

I'm really not sure what this post is about, a dilemma in your head being spilled onto the forums.
  16. mark88

mark88 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    As for your comment on " I'm sure everyone has had enough money in their pocket to buy something yet didn't because it was more than they are willing to pay". What a load of tosh, this is insurance were talking about, its not a fixed price, it’s not a physical object, it's expensive, you need it, so if you want cheap insurance get a mini metro.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that insurance isn't something you can touch makes no difference. You still shop round for the cheapest price and you still take it into consideration when you buy a car. I don't see your point to be honest.

Let's say next year I buy an RS4. It would cost me the same to insure as the 2.0T would now. I could quite easily swallow £3k insurance on a £50k car with so much more power. £3k insurance on a £20k A3 is kinda a different story.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm really not sure what this post is about, a dilemma in your head being spilled onto the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have got the idea of these forums things all wrong. Maybe I should have wrote into an agony aunt instead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
  17. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif you are so missing the point -

Yes we all see money is off no object to you and it grows of trees in your back garden.

You have brought two new cars, now can someone tell me why he is moaning about a couple of grand more to shell out on insurance, for goodness sake just change the order for the 2.0T or shut up and put up. There both good cars.

As for an agony aunt, your beyond that I feel. I can however arrange an nanny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Amen.
  18. little_wing

little_wing Member

I've gotta say I'm with mark on this one. Just because you have the money to pay for something doesn't mean you think it is worth it. I also don't think he was moaning, just asking for thoughts from other people to sanity check his thinking on insurance pricing.

"a dilemma in your head being spilled onto the forums" - isn't that what forums are all about?
  19. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

I wouldn't worry about it, NSD is quite clearly not getting any at the moment, hence he's a bit tetchy today.
  20. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

Look let me spoon-feed you.

You love the TDI, but are not overly happy with performance.
    You love the 2.0T, everything about it.
    Money is of no object.
    You go for the car you really want. He didn’t in this case, now he is regretting his order of the TDi.

[ QUOTE ]
    "a dilemma in your head being spilled onto the forums" - isn't that what forums are all about?

[/ QUOTE ]

The deal is done, signed, dusted - it's quite possibly too late too quibble, so why bother us with his should I shouldn’t of I?

He should have done what he really wanted in the first instant rather than rush into decisions. Like he states on numerous posts, money isn’t a factor so then he should of just gone for the 2.0T. You want this power so I'm afraid chump your going to have to face the large insurance premium. You knew this if you say you did do your research!

And as you keep banging on about the cost vs. worth it ratio, then don’t buy the 2.0T stick with the friggin TDI.

[​IMG]
  21. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

see what i mean....
  22. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't worry about it, NSD is quite clearly not getting any at the moment, hence he's a bit tetchy today.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha, omg your a bright one. I'm engaged you plank.
  23. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

that's "you're a bright one." presuming you meant to abbreviate "you are a bright one"

Engaged? So what? You wait till you're married like i am, then you definitely won't be getting any.
  24. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[ QUOTE ]
    that's "you're a bright one." presuming you meant to abbreviate "you are a bright one"

Engaged? So what? You wait till you're married like i am, then you definitely won't be getting any.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, very true.

And then your pc becomes your best friend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  25. little_wing

little_wing Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not strictly true - I'm married and I got some last night.

Just don't tell the wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (sorry, I couldn't resist)

nsd - I'm not going to get into a slanging match with you, so I'll leave it at that.
  26. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

you wouldn't believe how many keyboards I get through....

/Homer mode
    mmmmmm, Tanya....
    ./Homer mode
  27. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

I had it this morning... If you want to watch in the future I put tickets up on ebay...
  28. slimbloke

slimbloke Member

[ QUOTE ]
    mmmmmm, Tanya....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, not her again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  29. madvw

madvw Active Member

---insert yo mama joke here---
  30. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

Tanya as in our AS.net Tanya?

Beacuse if it was now I know who broke the gallery Eeef....
  31. little_wing

little_wing Member

Judging by Eeef's past posts, I would say that's the Tanya he has (permanently) in mind...
  32. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

I see the gallery is still broke.
  33. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh!!!
  34. djoblong

djoblong Member

I gotta say I agree with the guys who are asking neversaydie to chill out on this one - if you really find mark88's point of view so pointless you could always stop reading this thread. This post does not get classed as post whoring or mindless 'mine's faster than yours' arguments so what's the problem?

I am personally very interested in what he has to say and have been happy to contribute to the topic. I went through a very similar process myself. There's a term in marketing studies - post-purchase dissonance. This the feeling 'Ooh have I made the right choice' you get once you part with the cash for a particular purchase. It's a hugely influential phenomenon and big brand companies like Audi (and every other firm with a halfway decent marketing department) pour cash into trying to help you reduce it - hence the Audi magazines, advertising, etc. are all goaled (among other objectives like selling new customers) to help you reduce your post-purchase dissonance. It makes you more likely to want to buy another one some day.
  35. little_wing

little_wing Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doh!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol - try and convince us you haven't previously downloaded her pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
  36. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

Well what Can I say, you must be gutted if you feel that you have just made a bad decision on usually the second most expensive purchase you can make.

I can’t say I’ve had that experience and always taken my time deciding what car to go for. I always know what the costs of Insurance is going to be like and that I would certainly not debate a car just because of insurance reasons if I had allot of extra cash.

I’m not in need of any form of chill pill, and I do not need to educated to think in your way, can't you see this is my OPINION, if you don’t like it, how about you don’t read this thread?
  37. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

As for Tanya, well yes she was a stunner
  38. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

And TBH I'm not here for an argument (well I may be). I was simply trying to see why this guy is so convinced he has made a bad choice anyways, If I was to choose I would have the 2.0TDi any day over the petrol 2.0T.

I am very intrigued why he feels £3000.00 is allot of dosh for insurance on his first car:

a) A brand new car
    b) Not any car but an Audi
    c) A powerful car
    d) A new driver with 0NCB

What do you expect?
  39. neversaydie

neversaydie Post Whore

is it me or is my post count going down?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
  40. djoblong

djoblong Member

Interesting take on things there neversaydie - you made the comment you didn't understand what this forum post was about. I endeavoured to make an explanation. You are absoutey entitled to your opinion but I think you were going beyond that by questioning the validity of mark88's point of view and belittling what I thought was a perfectly valid comment, hence me taking to the time to try to elaborate on why I thought he had made it in the first place.