1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

having chipped an A3 1.8T...

adamt Nov 24, 2005

1. adamt

adamt New Member

chipped with oettinger to 195bhp on a3 1.8t sport 51 plate. finding that when i put my foot down in 1st and sometimes 2nd i lose traction and traction warning light flashes (presumably i'm wheelspinning).

whats the best solution? bigger wheels? if so can anyone recommend a bigger wheel that's cost effective and not going to make my car looked modified or like a tractor?

2. I have a 1.8t 1997 after revo reamp had the same problems. I fitted 17" original TT alloys with 225/45/17's which totally solved the problem also now added Goodyear F1's to the mix and she now sticks like glue.

Rgds

Jimbo

3. cybrey

cybrey Member

[ QUOTE ]
    chipped with oettinger to 195bhp on a3 1.8t sport 51 plate. finding that when i put my foot down in 1st and sometimes 2nd i lose traction and traction warning light flashes (presumably i'm wheelspinning).

whats the best solution? bigger wheels? if so can anyone recommend a bigger wheel that's cost effective and not going to make my car looked modified or like a tractor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrm don't put your foot down so hard without the wheels moving a bit faster. If you get traction you'll only put stress onto your clutch ... so I think you'd prefer to loose a bit of rubber rather than fork out for a new clutch.

One possible solution is to change your tyres to a softer compound like Toyo Proxes.

4. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

You wont burn out a standard clutch with a chipped 1.8T, even with the stickiest tyres. My standard clutch, which is 7 years old is handling 320+bhp alright!!

Tyres tyres tyres!! You need something like Toyo Proxes T1-S or Goodyear Eagle F1's. 17" is MUCH better than 16 but 18" are optimal. You can get 17" RSTT wheels for a good price and look standard.

Rich

5. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Agreed. Get some better tyres...

6. Timbo

Timbo Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

Eagle F1's on the standard 16" wheels are quite an improvement, and not too dear either.

7. adamt

adamt New Member

what about some 18" rs8 replica alloys with ZR Rated Kumho Tyres then? and what are the drawbacks for the driving experience?

thanks for your help btw, i'm a major novice to all this!

8. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi S3 Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

And get a Powerflex dogbone mount for £20 to reduce wheelhop, Rich will soort you out with one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. adamt

adamt New Member

if i have 18inch wheels fitted will i need to lower the suspension to stop my car looking like a tractor?

10. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

Nope... Should be just fine.

RIch

11. Dean_T

Dean_T Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    if i have 18inch wheels fitted will i need to lower the suspension to stop my car looking like a tractor?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, IMO

but each to their own, you may find it looks ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif