Has anyone tried HID lights off Ebay?

manj

Reaction score
Hi, i have an Audi A3 on a 52 plate. The lights are standard and i would like to upgrade them to HID lights so they have that Xenon Blue look and to make them a lot brighter for general vision. Please take a look at this link below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-97-XENON-BULBS-HEADLIGHT-UPGRADE-SET-HID_W0QQitemZ260170771918QQihZ016QQcategoryZ72234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My question is has anyone tried these lights on their car? What are they like? Are they worth it? Do they last? And are they road legal (It says they are in the Ebay advert but not sure if this is true)?

Otherwise does anyone have any other options??

Thanks.

Those arent HID lights they're just coloured bulbs and a waste of time.

Find any of the proper kits on ebay and they should be fine, the kits are pretty much all the same - technically they arent road legal as far as i know however you would be pretty unlucky to get done for having them or to fail MOT.

Even if it failed they can be removed in minutes and then put back in once its passed.

They generally look very good and give a better light output than your standard halogens, last well too, just dont touch the bulb when installing them

Thats a point, you need to make sure your lights are adjusted correctly to ensure they arent blinding people.

however, notice that, for that piece they used an old megane without projecting headlights - that is the reason why the beam was scattered and why the lights were out of mot reg's on the film. A car with projector style lights(like a facelift A3) doesnt have these problems - but there is a high risk of blinding somebody coming the other way if the lights arent adjusted properly.

Anyways, its your call - personally i like them and always made sure mine's weren't pointing straight at people's eyes when i had em in my mr2

The hid set suggested by rodenal is pretty good and cheap. Very easy to install also! I would go for 6000k instead of 8000k tho..8000k is a bit too blue.

blue look bulbs are ***** in wet weather. i've been through the same thoughts as you. In the end i found Philips Vision Plus to be best compromise. After spending about £200 in total on different types of bulbs.
I guess your dipped beams are the H1 type through projector lamps?

p.s - don't try high output bulbs (80W types) they will fry themsleves in headlights)