1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone retro-fitted none OEM bi-xenon projectors? e.g. from the retrofitsource?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by granty578, Nov 4, 2012.

1. granty578

granty578 Member

[Nov 4, 2012]
    Hi guys,

Hopefully picking my A3 up tomorrow and I really would like bi-xenons if possible. I've done some searching and most people seem to retrofit the OEM bi-xenons at a huge cost and it looks very complicated.

However, I was wondering has anyone done it using none OEM ones (arguably you could get a better set). Something like this? Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

I was just trying to find out before ordering, because I'm not sure how fussy the A3 will be with its electrics system and throwing up error codes. That said i've seen it done on Seat Leons.

Thanks,

Granty
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 31, 2014]

3. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Nov 5, 2012]
    Those kits look nice but will it get past the first issue that you may still blow your wiper motor as the car will think its sending power to the lights to light up halogen bulbs? The car will not be coded to work as bi-xenons as it won't be able to talk to the ballasts the way it does when you use OEM parts
    also how does it do the high beam? Will it make up a shutter inside that still works off the stalk? I ask as when you do the OEM kit there are new wires that need to be plugged in to allow high beam shutters to work along with coding to suit
  4. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets VCDS Map User

[Nov 5, 2012]
    youll be cheaper with less hassle buying oem ones
  5. granty578

granty578 Member

[Nov 5, 2012]
    I've seen the kits fitted on a lot of other cars - I just thought the VAG stuff may be complicated but was optimistic given I've seen it on the new shape Leons.

The high beam works by raising the shutter on the projector to give a brighter output, from what I understand is you'd just wire the high beam wire to it and it works like that.

Does anyone have any idea how much OEM Bi-xenons go for? I thought there was lots of work involved?
  6. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Nov 5, 2012]
    What year car have you got?

i have a set for sale in my sig...
  7. granty578

granty578 Member

[Nov 5, 2012]
    Hi,

I have (well will be getting) a 2005 model so looks like they will fit?

How much extra to fit them?

Thanks,

Granty