1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone removed a plug from the ECU ??

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by batty, Oct 9, 2003.

1. batty

batty Member

I'm having a sneak preview of how to fit cruis control & I need to remove the plugs so I can add some extra wires.

The problem is I can't remove these nuts, so I can remove the steel retaining cover which keeps the plug from coming loose.

The nuts seem captive on the top & I can't get access to the screw head from underneath. It may even be that the underside nuts are spot welded to the steel frame.

Can anyone help ???

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. NikoS3

NikoS3 New Member

The steel retaining cover with the strange nuts, does not exist in 2001 S3-TT Models. I think these appeared on the 2002+ models...There should be some way around this problem. I will ask around & inform you if i find something important.

Nikos.

4. Bazza

Bazza Member

Ahhhhaaa Audi security bolts!! These are easily removed but your dealer and warranty won't be too happy!!!

5. batty

batty Member

Pesky Audi Security bolts !!!

There must be an easy way to remove the ECU. How to AMD, Stealth, etc. do it when retro-fitting cruise. Surely the warranty isn't invalidated by doing this.

My car was registered in May '02 - chassis no. 8L221016985.

Has anyone unplugged the ECU of an '02 S3 ??

6. tvr1

tvr1 Member

i read somewhere that they need to be drilled off.... but sorry cant remem where i read it

7. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you!
    Staff Member Moderator

Yep, pretty sure they will have to be drilled out!

Rich

8. batty

batty Member

finally got round to drilling them out tonight.

- it's all a bit nerve racking. Made sure all the metal swarf was carefully controlled & removed. Will worry about the possible warranty problems later.

- haven't fitted the cruise yet, still waiting for more info for the extra loom for the engine bay.