1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone ever had an OEM exhaust where the baffles have collapsed?

Westy May 18, 2012

1. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Just a thought really as my standard exhaust seems to be getting louder and louder and I have also been experiencing hesitation on boost but only ocaisonly. Could it be possible that the baffles in the rear box or the centre resonator have collapsed and are causing a slight blockage?

2. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

i doubt it, not in the back box, they are a solid maze of pipes.
    IF its happened it would be in the centre box, the small one, its packed with the material and kept there with a mesh.

3. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Has anyone got any pics of the inside of either the back box or the resonator?

4. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

resonator is just your typical straight through box. google image it.

why you bothered anyway you've joined the miltek club!

5. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Just wondering if it's possible for the exhaust to fall apart internally and cause performance issues.

6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

Cat yes, exhaust highly unlikely mate

7. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Thanks mark. Was worth asking the question.

8. StaceyS3

StaceyS3 Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see if the milltek improves your flow at all matey;)

As for oem baffles not got a clue?

9. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

I've seen cars before that have had baffle material coming out of the rear pipe before. But I suspect that was just a cheapy exhaust rather than an OE one. It was basically wire wool.

10. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments guys. I was just trying to guess at what the hell is going on with my car and that popped into my head.

11. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Well-Known Member

Ive had similar thoughts about mine funny enough. My car sounds like it has a blowing exhaust but it doesnt. Even if you get under it theres no leaks. It ticks over very loud to. Is this similar to what your getting. Daz

12. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Mine was blowing and was actually quiet when it was leaking. Since I've sorted the leak in the down pipe and the gases are now going through the back box it sounds louder!

13. Sam_

Sam_ Down under

You'll lov the Milltek. Mine was a little loud at first but it's starting to get better as the carbon builds up ;)

My OEM was pretty loud too but the Milltek is nice on boost :D

The "special" pipes stick out a bit though. Wondering if this dude didn't fit it quite right or something?

14. ShaunS3

ShaunS3 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep VCDS Map User

I currently also have this issue. Mine has gradually got louder since i bought the car in Feb. Mine sounds very much like the downpipe is blowing and occasionally will get a wiff of what i can only describe as a distinct acidic fumes from the cat, so i'm presuming its nackered.

Had the car on the ramp a few weeks back and the flexi section of the downpipe seemed to have an obvious dark grey patch, which would suggest its blowing. In addition to this, my rear silencer seems to have got louder also but i couldn't see any obvious holes/leakage points.

I am due to get a full turbo back stainless system next week, so i will report back with pics when ive got my standard system off. I have been told that the downpipes are common for blowing, especially between the turbo-downpipe gasket.

15. Westy

Westy Well-Known Member

Well the on OEM part I have left is from the decat back. I'll report back once I've fitted the milltek. Going to remove my DP too so I can fit studs and nuts instea of the crappy bolts I'm currently using.

Milltek is due to arrive on Monday or tuesday but I'm moving house on Friday so I might not get time to fit it till I'm in my new place.