Has anyone actually ordered an S3

co55ie

Reaction score
After all the speculation regarding the new S3 did anyone actually go ahead and order one with the actual intention of buying one ?

Cancelled mine, I can think of better ways to spend 30k.

Not looking good for the S3 if this is the level of interest it generates.

Cant say as I am surprised though.

I'm waiting for the test drive before I make my decision. I already have most of the funds to hand and am getting more tempted by the day and each review I read.

I am a bit miffed the styling is not as obvious as my current S3, which still looks great after it is cleaned (on Sunday) even after 5 years, but its time for a change.

The only other short list was either an M3 (not a CSL) but its rear in the wet is a @$$%%!%@!! mare so that ruled it out as I like to welly it about in the wet and quattro is certainly king here.

And a Scooby, during the drive I had a wale of a time but it’s such a butt ugly car to look at and sit inside too. I cant see it and me living together for 5 years like I did with the Audi. The problem is I’ve been spoilt by the build of the Audi and not much else is the same, with Quattro that is…

Porches and the like are out for the total cost of ownership (and only two seats) this included the gorgeous new TT too. I just don’t like the look of the front of the R32 and there is no AWD Golf GTi (which I do like the front of).

So it’s a shoot out between a 18 month old S4 and an S3, after the test drive (in a months time now) I'll let you guys know...

Cancelled my order too. I have the same views as stevec, that nothing else fits the bill. Well the 911 does but I already have one.

The R32 looks aweful, GTI - 2WD, The A3 series look to ordinary and the rice mobiles are just damn vulgar.

When is someone going to shoe horn 300+ bhp into a 4WD 3-door hatch for £30??? I can't understand why it hasn't been done, it would be my ideal daily.

Stevec makes some good points. My current S3 has served me well for for just over 5 years, but it's time for a change. The styling on the new S3 has grown on me despite some negative comments on the forum. My car is speced up and ordered for a January delivery, subject to a successful test drive in November.

Regards, John.

nervus said:
Cancelled my order too. I have the same views as stevec, that nothing else fits the bill. Well the 911 does but I already have one.

The R32 looks aweful, GTI - 2WD, The A3 series look to ordinary and the rice mobiles are just damn vulgar.

When is someone going to shoe horn 300+ bhp into a 4WD 3-door hatch for £30??? I can't understand why it hasn't been done, it would be my ideal daily.

isn't the bmw 135ti supposed to be over 300 brake

JohnS3 said:
Don't think it's 4WD. Anyone?

It's not I don't think, and not to mention it has the looks of a 1 series so I for one wouldn't even consider it if it had 500bhp.

got to agree the 1 series is a real minger looks wise.

co55ie said:
Lend us a fiver :eyebrows: :thumbsup:

Cheek! :) Very funny! LOL

I get a company car allowance and have been saving very hard for two years plus my trade in for the current S3, around £10K or so...

Anyway if I get the S3 I'm going to need to find 2K for the steering wheel and seats as it seems some guy in audi marketing put some seats out of a s-line and forgot to up spec them for the S3...

I think the guy who did the seats for the S4 and S6 was in the loo when the S3 and S8 seats were being specified...

Very funny though, perhaps you can send me a £5 as I am considering having satnav too...

Yep, Recaros should be standard! As for 1 series, as said its RWD not 4 and I'd rather shove a wasp up my **** than be seen driving that monstrosity - looks like a 3yr old designed it.

I seem to be in the minority but I quite like the new S3!

Not sure why everyone is knocking the looks so much, are flared wheel arches really that important? The S3 is meant to be subtle, not some Max Power style eyesore covered with lurid stick on plastic bits.

With a 4 cylinder engine instead of a V6 it should handle much better without a big heavy engine in the front and will give better mpg.

OK, it is pretty pricey but what else can you get with this level of performance, build quality, 4WD and running costs? I can't think of anything .

cd8 said:
I seem to be in the minority but I quite like the new S3!

Not sure why everyone is knocking the looks so much, are flared wheel arches really that important? The S3 is meant to be subtle, not some Max Power style eyesore covered with lurid stick on plastic bits.

Everyone here is mostly an 8P owner, and therefore the dissapointments comes from the fact that the S3 looks basically the same as the 8P A3. Whereas the previous S3 has something of cult status, one of the reasons being it's squat like stance w/flared arches.

The RS4 is subtle, some would say too subtle, the latest S cars are just boring to look at and look no different to the A S-Line models. IMO.

Perhaps it's just me being superficial but when I'm spending 30k on a car, I want it to look ALOT better than someone else's 1.6 A3 S-Line.

stevec said:
Very funny though, perhaps you can send me a £5 as I am considering having satnav too...

If your daft enough to buy one I will be daft enough to contribute £5 toward your Sat Nav but only as long as you promise me that I can give your new S3 (that I will own a sat nav knob on ;) after my contribution ) a good whopping and gloat about it on here at every available opportunity:arco: