1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harsh ride

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by chaz20vt, Nov 2, 2013.

1. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 6, 2013]
    The simple fact is pound for pound, you'll get better parts with a shock/spring kit than you will with coilovers.

The whole idea of coilovers is flawed IMO. You cant have adjustable height without adjustable rate. If you lower the car, you need stiffer springs, or it bottoms out. With retail packaged coilovers, you get one spring, which is stiff enough to allow you to run it at the lowest available setting (ie on its ring), which in turn is almost certainly not ideal if your running it at a much higher sensible height. Or they make them more comfortable by fitting softer springs, which then gives you a much narrower range of adjustment before its so low it bottoms out over bumps.

On a race car, the coilovers will be designed such that they will use standard size springs available in a huge wide range of lengths and stiffness, allowing you to fine tune the springs to the car and the desired height. The damper valving is then adjustable to fine tune the damper response to match the chosen spring.

On a road car, most people dont want to have to learn about suspension, spring rates, damper valving etc etc, they want something that simply bolts on and works, and in that vein, a properly designed spring/shock kit, thats been carefully produced to match the car, and designed to work well at its chosen height will offer the optimal end result.

The problem is many folk who buy coilovers, espeically the cheaper ones, buy them not because they want a car that drives and handles correctly, but because they want it on its arse and actually BELIEVE that hard as nails, on-its-ring suspension is actually desirable and makes the car handle better. The products are then designed for this market. You get the old faithful "Handles like its on rails" wheeled out, and folk think its the dogs danglies, when infact its probably now slower than it was on the stock springs/dampers which actually worked properly.
    seafar99 likes this.
  2. Lavis89

Lavis89 Active Member

[Nov 6, 2013]
    I got AP coilovers, set me back around £500, cant fault them, the ride is no different to the standard suspension that was on it before but doesn't have any roll around the corners now
  3. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Nov 6, 2013]
    You see, I think this is where the problem lies.

More often than not, I don't believe this is the case, whilst you're technically most correct Kev, I don't believe that all of these big companies go out and produce such a product so well matched for it's intended vehicle.

In reality, I think most will just produce a fairly generic unit based around a car of a given average weight, much like cheap coilovers, it can be very hit and miss.

For what it's worth, i had a weitec Ultra GT shock and spring kit, for the very reasons you mentioned, at the time I believe that pound for pound I'd be getting a better product. I eventually swapped them out for cheap ebay coilovers at the same ride height, and the ride didn't deteriorate at all. I then swapped those for some Weitec hicon GT coilovers, and the ride improved 10 fold.

The track car now on KW V3's rides considerably better than any cheap coilover or shock and spring kit I've experienced. my money would go on the most expensive kit you can afford, regardless of shock/spring or coilover.
  4. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 6, 2013]
    The B12 kit is reasonably expensive
  5. Prawn

[Nov 6, 2013]
    I'd put faith in something like the B12 kit being really good, it's a bit more up market than the usual stuff people want to use
  6. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 6, 2013]
    It's the B12 kit that I'm looking at getting nick
  7. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    Iv seen a kit on fb vag parts group beleive its the kit im after I cant add a link from my phone though, only thing is he's not 100% sure on age of them he thinks there around a year and a half old?
  8. IrishDave

IrishDave Active Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    If you have the money buy new. You cant guarantee what condition they are in. For all you know he could have been driving on roads like the corrigated one's they have in rural Australia every day(extreme example).
  9. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    Fair point ill carry on looking for a new set
  10. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Has anyone had any experience with the koni strt kits?
    Thanks chaz
  11. IrishDave

IrishDave Active Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Nope, unfortunately not. But the FSD kit is brilliant. I would probably suggest trying to buy outside of the U.K with the pound being so strong against the euro.
  12. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Any suggestions where to look dave?
  13. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

14. IrishDave

IrishDave Active Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    I could not advise you on the different set ups you have posted above as I have never used either, although they do seem reasonably priced for both shocks + springs. Personally I would sway toward the koni set as you know I currently have them on my car, but I have also used koni shocks on previous cars that I have owned and have never had any problems with them.
    I did price the str set up prior to the fsd and the shocks came in at 90€ each for the rear shocks and I think it was about 120€ for the fronts.
  15. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 12, 2013]
    Ok dave thanks again is there anymore kits at around this price that you know of ?
  16. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Bilstein b8's with h&r's or apexi springs! Mine rides nice.. Where you based mate? You could have a go in mine to see if it's what your after?
  17. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Thanks for the offer but I'm in Cornwall
    Alex c haa taken me out in his as he is running thw b8 dampers with h & r spring and it was a nice ride its just that kit is 650 pound and wondered if i could source something else a little cheaper
  18. Prawn

[Nov 13, 2013]
    cheaper = harsher ride. Unavoidable sadly.
  19. chaz20vt

chaz20vt Member

[Nov 13, 2013]
    Do you think the koni STR.T kit will be harsh?