1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Wire Road Angel 2 (RA2)

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Shaq12, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Shaq12

Shaq12 Drive it like its hot!

[Oct 29, 2008]
    Hello people,

Has anyone hard wired the RA2 into their A3??

I have heard that finding a switched live is slightly harder than in the Golf. Heard of 2 options in the A3, the reversing light loom in the fusebox or there is the live feed from the HU.

Any suggestions from those that have fitted it??

Many Thanks
    C
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[Oct 29, 2008]
    I used the reverse light fuse as its only powered when the ignition is on.
  4. DaveS3Turbo

DaveS3Turbo Sepang Blue S3

[Oct 29, 2008]
    Cigarette Lighter mate. Simple. My last A3 was hard wired to this. Run down the side trim / bottom door sill trim / under driver seat.

David
  5. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member

[Oct 29, 2008]
    Cig lighter is permanent live though isnt it? Its easier to wire into the fusebox I reckon, as my detector sits rights above the fusebox you only need 12 inches of wire to do the job.
  6. MarcQuinlivan

MarcQuinlivan Active Member

[Oct 30, 2008]
    you'll find several switched live fuses in the fusebox. This is what I use for switched live for my Nokia 610 phone kit, two nokia chargers, my Digital TV tuner and several other bits. As Isaac Hunt said cigarette lighter is a permanent feed. The only feed you will get from the head unit is permanent too. By taking a feed from the fusebox you can also use the bolt above it as an earth which saves running wires all over the place.
  7. VRStu

VRStu Just Looking VCDS Map User

[Oct 30, 2008]
    I would always advocate taking it from the fuse box. You can buy a repair wire with the terminal crimped on and insert that into the fuse panel to create a more professional looking job.
  8. richs2891

richs2891 I cant spell !

[Oct 30, 2008]
    Marc is correct - always use the fuse box. My road angel 2 is hard wired in - took a feed from the fuse box. Open drivers doors look at dash by hinge area thats where the fuse box is .
    [​IMG]

I used some maplin push in connectors http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=42727 (filed down to fit as I has some spare) and added these to the end of the orig road angel wire (and added an inline fuse - just to be extra safe) and pushed into the fuse box.

Hardest thing (nerve racking) is removing the A pilar trim to get a nice easy route for the wire

I've also got a pdf instruction set with more pic on - its written by someone on here for a TT but its pretty much the same - send me an email and will send it on if you like

Richard
  9. mhill

mhill Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 23, 2009]
    i wonder if you could just confirm which number sockets you have plugged into?

Thanks

Miles