Hard to do a smooth gearchange....

s3dave

TFSI Hybrid
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.stainless-engineering.co.uk
hi guys dont know if it is just me, everytime i drive the car and do a gear change it seems to jerk , more notcable when i have passengers in the car and their heads can be seen going back and forth..lol
it is as though the brakes are binding and as soon as you let off the power its like ive opened a parachute......until the next gear , i wondered if it was the resistance in the 4 wheel drive system?
it seems to roll ok downhill in neutral although i thought it would be faster , and the tyre pressures are good, felt hubs and none seem to be oddly warm, i have brembos on the front and an apr stage 2 switchable map unless its just the g force witch i doubt?
cheers for any ideas dave

They are quite torquey cars especially as the turbo comes in

yeah i know, ive had a lot of turbo cars before and it just feels as it is holding back for a split second until the next change , a bit hard to explain just does not feel right, ive had it for a month now and cant get used to it, it feels like the brakes are binding to me

it is only doing 20 mpg too, no matter how i drive saint or sinner
i do notice i seem to be watching the speedo alot as it seems to reach treble figurs very easy on private roads, it must be the quiet cabin?

I have the exact same problem . I think it maybe down to my dogbone mount having to much play in it and on gear changes the engine moves to much, making it harder to transfer the power to the wheels.

My rear caliper was binding few weeks back funny enough. It didn't change this jerky feeling at all once replaced for new one.

What you think it is.

A dodgy diverter valve can effect gear changes also. My aftermarket DV made gearchanges smoother between gears. Uprated dogbone mounts make gearchanges more direct, as it restricts engine movements between gearchanges.
Poor mpg could be another matter, you say your car is in Stage 2 state of tune, that can't help mpg, but 20 is quite low. I got 24mpg average for my last tank of V-power, and that included 1.5 track sessions at CastleCoombe circuit and a spirited drive on the way back home, and I'm running AmD Stage1 :racer:

hmmm smells a bit rich from the rear too but no dash lights on
its a 2000 apy
full milteck sports cat
bmc air filter
forge tip
quickshift gears
not sure on dv i noticed it was the same as wellys on is valve removal thread
apr stage 1 and 2 switchable
think it has a bigger afm on then normal?
thinking about getting 1 of them liquid screens that tell you a bit of info for the air vent maybe that will through something up, will a lambda throw the em light on?
cheers dave

Last edited:
get it scanned first off.
for the hesitation between gears then i would check the recirc valve. I'm also 2000 APY and was on the standard valve. changed this for a forge 007p and this really smoothed things out for gearchanges. before it felt like it was really pulling back when i lifted off the throttle.

What grease is best to use on the forge DV? Need to service mine.

Yeah i though that but was a bit unsure about if it ever worked its way into the engine etc!

I'd say MAF. Mine used to 'buck' when letting off the throttle. Didn't think anything of it at the time, only noticed it had stopped when I had a new MAF put in for diffferent reasons...

should be alright, it is only a smear around the o-rings and the seat, anything that does come off will just be a tiny amount over a bit of time so should be okay.