Hanging a plasma

Jiny_P

Reaction score
Hi

I want to hang a plasma up but the problem is my house is a newish one and has not got solid walls instead has got plasterboard walls, i was wondering has any one managed to hang one up with this problem?? I spoke to a builder and he said they would have to put beams in the walls. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is most likely going to be beams running behind the wall, did this builder come and have a look? Is the wall an original wall or has it been put in after the house was built? Seems unlikely that it would have no support behind the wall at all. Don't know a huge amount about it so I could well be wrong!

I've put up two plasmas/LCDs, one in my house (where the walls are really soft stone so had to use huge plugs then screws) then another at work (with plasterboard walls where i just had to knock about untill i found a beam behind that was strong enough to hold the 42" tv!)

i fit them for a living, there is usually some sort of frame in the wall. try and get as many fixings into this as poss, get a bracket that has lots of mounting holes to give more stregnth. thats about all you can do.

im a joiner, **** easy to fit i did mine few months ago, ur wall will have studs,framing running vertical at 600 centers. hold ur bracket up and draw round it. cut a hole 25mm all round inside that line,and place timber like 100x25 behind plasterboard between studs.screw pb into wood and then refit cut out the same. when u fit bracket it covers the cut out.

The wall should have a timber or metal stud frame behind the plasterboard usually at 400mm ctrs vertically, you could use a wood, wire, detector thingy from B&Q it beeps when you hit a bit of wood... if you fix into that you should be fine, you could also cut a bit of plasterboard out and screw a piece of plywood to the studwork then skim over...at least with the p'board it should be easier to hide all youre wires...

Forget cutting holes into walls etc. The best thing to get at your local diy store is SPRING TOGGLES. You can buy a small packet for pennies. They could easily suspend a Plasma tv. I'm an electrician and have used them with no problem. We use them to hang Data Servers that weigh a ton (well so to speak). Good Luck.

Sorry but i'll disagree with all of you, normally when you hang a plasma on a wall it will be moveable, so fixing it to plasterboard just wont wash. If its a new build then the studwork will be galvanised steel which has no strength, indeed not enough to support a 70kg plasma screen. Its very rare for a builder to use timber in studwork anymore, it costs more and is slower to errect.

IMO there will be a solid wall on one side of the room, because the external walls will be made from brick, the best thing to do is mark round the bracket mount and cut through the plasterboard to access the brick wall and mount it to that with fischer fixings.

axelfols, what is a data server? do you mean cabinet? i've never seen a wall mounted computer.

if you can drill through into brick behind, remember that if you tighten the bolts up to much you will pull the bracket through the plaster board as there is often a small gap between the board and brick. if it is a moving tilting bracket then i agree, i wouldnt fix it to plasterboard. i'd a use flat fixed slimline bracket with a large surface area against the wall. the further the plasma sticks out from the wall, the more outward pull it has on the fixings.

SteveS said:
if you can drill through into brick behind, remember that if you tighten the bolts up to much you will pull the bracket through the plaster board as there is often a small gap between the board and brick. if it is a moving tilting bracket then i agree, i wouldnt fix it to plasterboard. i'd a use flat fixed slimline bracket with a large surface area against the wall. the further the plasma sticks out from the wall, the more outward pull it has on the fixings.

Thats why i said mark round the bracket mount and cut the plasterboard out, it'll be covered by the screen anyway

Why do you assume most stud work on new builds are made from galv steel??? Been in the buliding game form more than 20 years and only seen steel studs on commercial developments, certainly not domestic dwellings. With regards to your data server remark yes, i'm talking about a cabinet. does it matter? The issue here is weight management. Sorry about the incorrect description regarding a cabinet. Not being a computer geek or pencil neck i wouldn't know the difference.

So people that know the difference between a metal cabinet and an actual computer are geeks or pencil necks then? God i'd love to work in a computer store when you came looking for a new machine, maybe i could sell you a biscuit tin and tell you it was a laptop.

A4Quattro said:
So people that know the difference between a metal cabinet and an actual computer are geeks or pencil necks then? God i'd love to work in a computer store when you came looking for a new machine, maybe i could sell you a biscuit tin and tell you it was a laptop.

I'm pretty sure we have a 5u wall mounted rack at work. Will have a look and take a pic :p

How big is your tv if it weights 70kg? :anbet:

I'm 100% sure there are timber beams running behind the wall where my LCD at work is hanging.

Ed said:
I'm pretty sure we have a 5u wall mounted rack at work. Will have a look and take a pic :p

How big is your tv if it weights 70kg? :anbet:

I'm 100% sure there are timber beams running behind the wall where my LCD at work is hanging.
Its probably a 6u wall cab, never seen anything smaller than that

My TV is 42" and its about 67kg

Timber is fine to screw to, the metal stud isn't, neither is plasterboard is it has no pull out strength whatsoever.

At the end of the day, whoever mounts the plasma takes it into their own hands, i personally would not mount something that cost me 2 grand plus onto anything except solid masonry. end of

I know a bloke who although doesnt know how to hang Plasmas his quite good at hanging saddams

Sorry Chris, but i'm here to help, not get involved in petty bull ****. Double sheeted plasterboard is fine to hang a plasma. Have asked a friend who runs his own tv/audio business and he confirms that spring toggles, Spit driva's, or compression rawl plugs are suitable. Don't want to rain on your parade but i'd tend to believe an EXPERT in this case. You do your own thing Christopher.

How do you know that his wall is double sheeted? If its built properly then the 1st sheet would be stirling board or ply. then you have some strength, but single sheet plasterboard is as weak as toilet paper.

End of the day its up to the owner of the screen

HOLY MOSES!!! 67KG????

Are you sure it's not 67lb?
I have a 42" pioneer plasma and it's only 29.6kg.

Have you got a 42" plasma or crt? I can imagine the crt being 67kg, but that sounds like a very heavy plasma.

axelfols said:
Why do you assume most stud work on new builds are made from galv steel??? Been in the buliding game form more than 20 years and only seen steel studs on commercial developments, certainly not domestic dwellings.

My home was built just over a year ago...and it's metal studding.
As is each of the houses built by the other 5 developers on the town.

So I've hit the same problem...as it's ****-weak and offers no structural support at all, when hanging things off the wall with some leverage.

Single layer plasterboard isn't ideal...
I'd have thought it would be possible to mount using some form of correct fixing...especially if you aren't using a telescopic or tiltable mounting bracket.

But, I know I don't have 2 layer plasterboard...

And I know it's an internal wall in a Cinema Room...so what are my options?

I'm guessing to do it right, I should have the plasterboard sheeting removed and have some wooden supports added behind, just like I did for speaker brackets in my lounge.
Or I could just fit plenty of plasterboard expanding fixings and hope for the best...,?
Or just bin the whole idea and fit a projector...?
Which i'm leaning towards because of the hassle factor...

Sorry, don't know where i got 67kg from, its actually close to 40kg.
I apologise for the overestimation.

In any case, maybe I should have been more descriptive, if you want to fit a bracket that doesn't move in any direction, then maybe using toggles would be sufficient if the mounting bracket plate was large enough, but i'd never do it.
If you fit an adjustable bracket, like the ones that swing away from the wall and up and down etc, then they need to be anchored into a solid wall IN MY OPINION. Just like ESS_THREE could probably run his porsche on bald tyres and it would probably be fine in most conditions, but why take the risk?

My Plasma cost me a lot of money and i'd not hang it on plasterboard of any thickness. When our company fit the wall mounted data cabinets as described earlier, we first screw a larger sheet of MDF to the wall then screw the cab onto that, because if it falls off then someones safety could be put at risk, and thats not something we would take a chance on.

If I wanted to fit a plasma to the wall and all I had was galv studding, i'd locate the studs either side of the site for fitting the screen and then cut the board out between the 2 verticals, then i'd fabricate a stud framework inside the cavity out of 3x2 sawn timber, anchored firmly to the floor and ceiling joists above. Then i'd fit some convoluted conduit into the wall from the screen position to the ground so that the cables can be run inside the wall but still easily removed.
Then replace the piece of cut out plasterboard with a new piece and get the joint skimmed. Mount the plasma bracket on the new studwork with some 2x10 roundhead screws and penny washers.
This is a longer process and more costly, but its also a lot more professional and resilient than screwing the screen to what is basically chalk and paper.

Now would you want your plasma screen falling off the wall and onto your child?

ESS_THREE a projector will be alright if you want to watch the occasional film or football match, but for an everyday watch, it will work out costly. The lamps don't last very long and cost a lot of money.

Good points...

A4Quattro said:
Now would you want your plasma screen falling off the wall and onto your child?

Ahh...they'd heal up!

I'd be more concerned about my glass equipment rack, B&W centre speaker and £1000s worth of Amp and source equipment! :)

I think if I do go down the Plasma route, I'll do as you say, remove the sheeting, fabricate some wooden supports, run conduit for the cables, re-sheet and skim.
That way I'd be sure...

The SPL in my Cinema Room is pretty high - high enough to bounce pictures off the walls! So I'd want something like a Plasma pretty securely fixed.

A4Quattro said:
ESS_THREE a projector will be alright if you want to watch the occasional film or football match, but for an everyday watch, it will work out costly. The lamps don't last very long and cost a lot of money.

Yeah, but it's in a dedicated Cinema Room.

I have my lounge for everyday stuff and normal telly...the Cinema Room is purely for movies and football watching...speakers best positioned, 2 seats ideally positioned, big sub, totally lightproofed etc...
Great!!

Ess_Three said:
Yeah, but it's in a dedicated Cinema Room.

I have my lounge for everyday stuff and normal telly...the Cinema Room is purely for movies and football watching...speakers best positioned, 2 seats ideally positioned, big sub, totally lightproofed etc...
Great!!

GIT GIT GIT GIT!!!!

Ess_Three said:
Good points...

Ahh...they'd heal up!

I'd be more concerned about my glass equipment rack, B&W centre speaker and £1000s worth of Amp and source equipment! :)

I'm looking to get a set of B&W DM603's when I upgrade as the sound is incredible, and the amp i'm after is a Yam, whats your AV amp?

A4Quattro said:
GIT GIT GIT GIT!!!!

:whistle2:

I've been lucky enough to have found a new house with a room (what should be the study) I can use as a Cinema Room.
Saves all my ugly big boxes being in my lounge...and means I can have it all set perfectly for movies.

You're going to dislike me...

A4Quattro said:
I'm looking to get a set of B&W DM603's when I upgrade as the sound is incredible,

I use B&W 602s in my lounge, with a Linn Classic source, QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire cable and a BK Electronics XLS200 sub...

And in my Cinema Room:
Fronts are B&W 604s
Centre B&W LCR6
Side Surrounds B&W DS6s
Rear Surrounds B&W DS6s
BK Electronics Monolith sub

and the amp i'm after is a Yam, whats your AV amp?

Yamaha RX-V2600!! :whistle2:

Pioneer DVD, Sky+, QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire / Silver Anniversary speaker cables, QED signal cables etc, etc...

...but I don't have a Plasma!!
Unlike some.

I still rely on my trusty Panasonic CRT until:
a) I find a Plasma I like the picture of as much (I have...the Poineer...but I can't afford it)
b) Find a way of mounting it and hiding the cables...
c) Give up and buy a Projector.

I feel option c) to be the winner in my case.
Bigger picture, cheaper and less 'alterations' to be done to the room.

Ess_Three said:
...but I don't have a Plasma!!
Unlike some.

I still rely on my trusty Panasonic CRT until:
a) I find a Plasma I like the picture of as much (I have...the Poineer...but I can't afford it)
b) Find a way of mounting it and hiding the cables...
c) Give up and buy a Projector.

I feel option c) to be the winner in my case.
Bigger picture, cheaper and less 'alterations' to be done to the room.

If you already haven't then go and get a demo of a Fujitsu 58 series screen. Hooked up correctly it will blow 99% of the other screens off the wall. I had a Pio 50" and have now got the Fujitsu 50" and its a huge huge difference in quality. Yes they do cost more but oh so worth it!!

save up for the pioneer, picture quality is worth the extra and the whole look of the unit is spot on! separate tv tuner too so less leads to get up the wall.

Mo-S3 said:
Hooked up correctly it will blow 99% of the other screens off the wall.

especially if they're fitted onto plasterboard.....:whistle2:

The trouble is...
The cost of a Plasma to give a 50" screen vs a decent 1080p true HD Projector giving a 86-100" picture = a no brainer.

My Cinema Room is only about 3m x 3m...so going too big on the size of the Plasma means I see the mask, and the picture sometimes doesn't look too great.

Plus I can take the C4S to the 'ring for a week with the change!!

Have you thought about standing the plasma on the floor? If you used chrome or gloss black square tubing to match your screen to raise the screen to the right height, the plasterboard wouldn't be holding the weight of the screen. Just fix the screen to the wall to stop it falling away from the wall. Added benefit is that cables can be hidden inside the tubing. That means you don't need to cut into your wall and worry about re-plastering etc.

I had the same problem with a radiator in my room. The plasterboard wall wouldn't hold the weight, so I got a radiator with legs, and it has 2 fixings to hold it upright against the platerboard wall.

In my case, the room is quite small...great for 2 people watching a film with high SPLs but not ideal for getting far enough from the screen to get a decent picture when viewing a Plasma.

At the moment I have a CRT on an equipment rack...and it's fine...but I think a big Plasma would reveal the 'mask' in the picture at the distance it would be from me, if it was sat on my rack.
There is no option to mount it on a stand because the rack, front speakers and sub take up all available wall width...and getting it a bit further away (by another couple of feet) would improve the perceived picture.

So, it's either wall mount a big set, stand a smaller set on my existing rack, or use the wall as a screen and add a projector.

The advantace of a flat panel being it will have speakers...so I could watch normal TV on it without having all the AV gear turned on...whereas with a PJ I couldn't.

I'm still unsure...
My 2 out of my 3 options appear to involve some 'building' work...
Either in mounting a flat panel - be it LCD or Plasma - into/ont the end wall,
Or lifting the floor of the bedroom above and running HDMI and Component cables, plus a power socket, to points on the roof ready for a PJ.