Handr springs fitted to my tdi sport bouncy why?

dubindan

Reaction score
So I've fitted handr springs to my tdi sport about 3 months ago when it was on 17s they came with some second hands line shocks but the springs was like new so fitted them and the ride comfort wasn't to bad to say it was lowered but then I fitted some 18 inch alloys with 215 tyres stretched onto 18>8 wheel which isn't a lot of stretch now on the back roads the vehicle gets really bouncy at some points and you can feel all the slightest bumps in the road now is this down to the shocks perhaps the stretches tyres or just the way they are if it is the shocks what ones do you recommend as I lowered it more for looks the handling thanks dan

did you get the shocks for the corresponding engine size, as it could be an expected weight difference causing your float

I don't no tbh I'm thinking about putting the sport shocks back on as they had only covered 40 ,000 but I'm on the understanding that they will go the same after about 10,000 so I was wondering what the cost is and what shocks are best to get to stop this if you can help or haven't you changed your shocks thanks Phil also I thought that the sline shocks are updated to the sport but since then I saw a post that said they wasnt ?

Shocks do not tend to be weight rated, springs are as they take the weight and major load. I would say your stretched tyres from meaty 225 45 17 to 215 40 18 is giving the bounce, also check the bushes, if any of them are damaged the bouncing will be harsher.

i would say that your shocks are not matched to your springs meaning that they are not effectively damping your springs. Moving to 18" rims means that you are probably running lower profile tyres hence there isn't so much give in the tyre wall meaning that now more of the energy is being transferred into you springs when going over bumps which is just exacerbating your original problem

I have H&R lowering springs on my car with Bilstein B8 shocks - no problems

whilst its more stretched than the OEM setup 215mm tyres onto 8" wide rims isn't massively stretched

Last edited:
Okay what kind of price range are they and are they comfortable to thanks for the reply dan

Last edited:
I think that the B8s are fine, i am using them with H&R springs which are 25mm lowering springs. I am guessing your H&R springs are lowering springs? in which case use the Bilstein B8 if not then use the Bilstein B6 shocks for your car

Downside is they are not cheap.... but this is the 8P section :p

Damian at DPM will be able to help you out if you have more questions, that's where i got my shocks and springs

Holy **** there pricey I was expecting around the 300 mark would I be better off with coilovers then ?

Okay thankyou everyone on here says coilovers are smooth so do I just buy some of them or get the dampers don't no what to do now I though coilovers would be bouncy because the springs are so small

Okay thankyou everyone on here says coilovers are smooth so do I just buy some of them or get the dampers don't no what to do now I though coilovers would be bouncy because the springs are so small

The bouncing is because the springs and dampers don't match, that isn't a problem with coilovers. You get more adjustment with coilovers (height obviously, and firmness if you pay extra). Unless you know the springs/shocks combo you get is what you're after, then you're better with the flexibility of coilovers.

Short springs would be more likely to be firm (reduced travel means that they have to be stiffer to stop you just bottoming out all the time).

Just spoke to demon tweaks and they wil do the dampers posted for £512 so spose I better get saving up thanks guys

Just spoke to demon tweaks and they wil do the dampers posted for £512 so spose I better get saving up thanks guys

I posted the dpm link with them posted for the same (£499 + £11.95), and I'm sure if you PM Damian he can do you a members' deal :icon_thumright:

I've posted on his wall see what he comes back with thanks