1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handbrake problem

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by grantDUBshaw, Feb 13, 2014.

1. grantDUBshaw

grantDUBshaw Active Member

[Feb 13, 2014]
    Cars booked in with audi for 2 days due to having faulty handbrake in march - As I put the parking break on, then bringing the clutch up and releasing the footbreak, the handbrake is automatically releasing after releasing footbrake - Very dangerous, rolled back a number of times in traffic with a few close calls!

So if anyone is having this problem you know to book it in ! :)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. bpnike

bpnike New Member

[Feb 13, 2014]
    that's normal in my opinion??!! do you have hill hold assist?
    My one does exactly the same. when you start driving it releases by itself
  4. grantDUBshaw

[Feb 13, 2014]
    No I don't have HHA, and this is happening when I'm not pulling off, as in pulling up to park or sat in traffic with the car out gear, not pulling off.. I know the handbrake auto releases when pulling off which is normal.

This is happening when I stop, put the handbrake on, lift the clutch up with the car in neutral and taking my foot off the brake to park up/sat in traffic! Should of said in previous post it's not in the event of pulling away.
  5. Larf1986

Larf1986 New Member

[Feb 13, 2014]
    Mine Saloon does this, just assumed I was being a retard as never used electric handbreak before.
  6. grantDUBshaw

[Feb 13, 2014]
    Apparently is down to a faulty gear selection sensor or something ! But they wanted it booked in ASAP as it's dangerous. After sat on my drive for abit trying to find when it did it, I found out if I don't select any gear with it being in neutral, put foot on clutch, apply handbrake and if I lift clutch up slowly enough to the top it won't release but if I release clutch quickly handbrake drops off again even though no gear is selected!
  7. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

[Feb 13, 2014]
    I always leave in gear anyway to be safe!
  8. grantDUBshaw

[Feb 13, 2014]
    Yeah so do I so that my car doesn't accidentally roll away by the time I come back to it !
    Scott likes this.
  9. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Feb 13, 2014]
    I noticed this the other day actually in a car park - I'll have to test again, but I was in neutral (thought I was in gear!), and went to pull away as normal and the handbrake came off, but obviously I didn't go anywhere!
  10. grantDUBshaw

[Feb 14, 2014]
    Yeah I would get in touch with audi as it is not meant to happen.. Maybe they had a faulty batch and it's on a few cars? We will have to see ! I'll keep you updated once repaired though with what it is.