1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handbrake problem

grantDUBshaw Feb 13, 2014

1. grantDUBshaw

grantDUBshaw Active Member

Cars booked in with audi for 2 days due to having faulty handbrake in march - As I put the parking break on, then bringing the clutch up and releasing the footbreak, the handbrake is automatically releasing after releasing footbrake - Very dangerous, rolled back a number of times in traffic with a few close calls!

So if anyone is having this problem you know to book it in ! :)

2. bpnike

bpnike Member

that's normal in my opinion??!! do you have hill hold assist?
    My one does exactly the same. when you start driving it releases by itself

3. grantDUBshaw

No I don't have HHA, and this is happening when I'm not pulling off, as in pulling up to park or sat in traffic with the car out gear, not pulling off.. I know the handbrake auto releases when pulling off which is normal.

This is happening when I stop, put the handbrake on, lift the clutch up with the car in neutral and taking my foot off the brake to park up/sat in traffic! Should of said in previous post it's not in the event of pulling away.

4. Larf1986

Larf1986 New Member

Mine Saloon does this, just assumed I was being a retard as never used electric handbreak before.

5. grantDUBshaw

Apparently is down to a faulty gear selection sensor or something ! But they wanted it booked in ASAP as it's dangerous. After sat on my drive for abit trying to find when it did it, I found out if I don't select any gear with it being in neutral, put foot on clutch, apply handbrake and if I lift clutch up slowly enough to the top it won't release but if I release clutch quickly handbrake drops off again even though no gear is selected!

6. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

I always leave in gear anyway to be safe!

7. grantDUBshaw

Yeah so do I so that my car doesn't accidentally roll away by the time I come back to it !

Scott likes this.
  8. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

I noticed this the other day actually in a car park - I'll have to test again, but I was in neutral (thought I was in gear!), and went to pull away as normal and the handbrake came off, but obviously I didn't go anywhere!

9. grantDUBshaw

Yeah I would get in touch with audi as it is not meant to happen.. Maybe they had a faulty batch and it's on a few cars? We will have to see ! I'll keep you updated once repaired though with what it is.