Handbrake Issue?

danilotto

Reaction score
A big, ugly and polluted south-Europe city
Hi all,

Yesterday I parked my S3 on a steep downhill. The front downwards.
Keeping the brake pedal firmly pressed I put the S-Tronic Lever in P and then, without releasing the brake, I activated the hand brake button. As soon as I released the brake pedal the car slightly moved forward despite the parking brake and engaged the P position lock: this is the thing I wanted to prevent.

In fact as I came back to the car, I noticed that the passing from P to R was clumsy because of the engaged pinion.

A friend of mind with a DSG Skoda told me it is the same on his car.

On my Z4 E89 that had the electromechanical parking brake too (but torque converter 6-gears ZF), as soon as I engaged the parking brake and released the brake pedal the car had no movement, as I suppose it must work.

So, what do you think about? Normal behavior or parking brake fault on my car?

Thanks!

When you pull the Park Brake switch - you should head a "whirring" noise for about 2 seconds.

Only after the "whirring" noise has stopped - then release the foot brake, and the car should not move at all.

If you pull the EPB switch then take your foot off the brake pedal immediately - the electric motors haven't had time to fully engage the park brake, so the car will stop against the Park Pawl in the DSG gearbox. This makes it "notchy" to get the gear lever from P to R.

Sometimes my Handbrake fails to operate and the DSG Pin clicks in when I take the foot off the brake pedal. I know I have pulled the Hand Brake button but it has not activated. The clunk from the gearbox sounds terrible ;(

Hello, im new over here.
As what I know when you brake with the brake pedal on a downhill the car is lower on the front, so then if you engage P before the handbrake, its going to get the car stopped by the gearbox and not the handbrake as even though is a small ammount of different distance.
Maybe next time try putting in Neutral, then handbrake, and then put it it P so next time the gearbox is free from the downhill pressure.
This will also make easier to go from P to R next time you use the car as the cars weight is in the handbrake brakes instead of the gearbox P gear(if it exists...)