Handbrake Gone Loose - Caliper Problem?

Toby_S

Reaction score
A few days ago my 2001 Allroad handbrake went very loose. It pretty much pulls through to the final click with no tension, but will just about engage at the last click (leaving in gear everywhere of course too!).

Phoned my indy today assuming it would be a cable issue, but he confidently said it would be one of the calipers. Seemed confident it would need a new caliper, so wanted me to take in so they could identify which one. More than happy to get underneath and check all calipers, as have done all the brakes before and have the tool for winding pistons in and out ............ but what exactly am I looking for here?

Presume this won't just be binding pads, but the handbrake cable come off one corner completely? Anyone had this before and can walk me through what I'll most likely find?

Cheers

Any recommendations for a good source of replacement calipers of a decent quality also welcomed (UK).

Are you happy with good 2nd hand calipers ? Got a few at the garage...

Sure, as long as they are in good shape cosmetically. Just need to know what I'm looking for first to know if it is front or back causing the issue ..... assuming it is the calipers after all!?

handbrake only applies the rear brakes so must be a rear brake problem. why not apply brake as best as can jack up back of car and see which wheel is not being held?

Ah okay, thanks for that, really helpful. Will give that a whirl and see which side isn't holding. Once I identify which side it is, what am I looking for - a detached cable? If the caliper likely needs replacing, I presume something more fundamental should be wrong?

It's common fault on the c5 as it's getting on a bit ! Only downside the caliper are quattro specific and very expensive from motor factors ! Ask me how i know... I have a few pairs of good working ones from a few cars i broke for parts...

I think it's just a cable problem.

Finally found time to get the car jacked up and see which wheel is causing the issue. Rear nearside caliper holding solid when handbrake applied, offside can be moved easily by hand so no brake being applied at all effectively.

Adamss24 - if you have any good offside calipers, please pm me a price and ideally some pics or confirmation of condition.