Handbrake failure

chippie

Reaction score
I can’t believe it, left the s3 parked on the drive, I was in my garage with the door open when I heard a clunk, turned round and saw the car rolling down towards the garage, tried to stop it but didn’t stand a chance, crashed into the side of the garage door frame, I’m well [censored] off. Rang the insurance and told them, now need to get in touch with Audi for the repair, although with it being Saturday won’t be able to do it until Monday. Damage to car is front wing, passenger door; window, mirror and the boot were I’ve put a big dent in it trying to stop the car.
Has anyone had problems with handbrake failure as it was on when I parked and all the way down afterwards, and it seems to work now. In future though I think I shall have to leave it in gear as well

omg man - that SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a b!atch. unecessary hassle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

hope you manage to get it sorted, is it under warranty still? could the handbrake show to be at fault etc?

Thats a bummer man, I always leave the car in gear where ever I park, especially on my drive as it is sloped. And pull the handbrake a couple more clicks for good measure. Does your handbrake still work? Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Hi

If you search the A3/S3 forum for 'Handbrake failure' you will find details of an earlier problem very similar to yours by a lady called Emma. I found some letters in copies of the Audi Driver magazine which also referred to a similar problem and provided her with copies. It may be worth trying to get in touch with Emma via a PM to see if she got anywhere with Audi with her problem.

Dave R

Happened to a friend recently, luckily the car didn't hit anything on the way down their drive. I believe it suggests in the manual to leave it in gear on a slope (nice get out clause for Audi).

Sympathies are due, it's made a nasty mess of your ride.

Really sorry about your car:(
you wont have been the 1st that this has happened to, normally due to expanded pads and discs cooling and in essence releasing the bite from the handbrake.
As Dave mentioned there are a few posts on this, happened to me, i was lucky - my car rolled into the middle of the road blocking traffic in both directions.
I always now park in gear, just like the manual advises.

I've seen it a few times it really is a problem with rear disks with integral handbrake now whenever I park on a slope the vehicle is left in gear.

Thanks for the condolences, what seems strange is that the handbrake lever was in the fully down position, as if the handbrake button had been released,
Would this happen with the contraction of the discs or could it be that the ratchet had slipped, or could the force of the impact have knocked the handbrake off,
I don’t know?
The insurance is protected so shouldn’t loose any no claims bonus, but does anyone know if the premium before no claims discount will go up because of making a claim
Thanks again chippie

I've never seen this before if the handbrake is up before it should still be up after.

Even though you have protected no claims your premium could still increase because you have made a claim.

i reckon about 700 quids worth of damage labour. New doors are about 160 Quid or so the mirror would be seperate. Not sure about the wing though. Make sure you look deep into the paintwork for swirl marks in the filler, and any waxing.

Go to a audi approved to retain your 10 year anti corrosion warranty.

The same happend to me round my sisters house. I'd parked on her sloped driveway and was sitting in her lounge. Anyway me sis looked out the window and said "what's your car doing down the road" i jumped up instantly and could not believe how far it had rolled down the road. luckily it had gone up the curb and was stopped by the front wheels from going any further. It was inches from a tree and brick wall. It was unbelievable.

They are heavy old cars....

Hope you get it sorted.

A quick update
Took the car to my local Audi dealer, it drove crap the steering has been knocked out and the ESP keeps coming on making the car die, when I got there it was too big a job for them and arranged for it to be taken to another dealership, they did an estimate and sent if off to the insurance, who then wanted the car inspected by an independent engineer, which took them a week to arrange and lots of phone calls from me to try and kick their *****, when they finally get it inspected they wont authorise the repairs to the tailgate which I dented trying to stop the car rolling, saying that I shouldn’t have touched it and that it is a separate claim and also I had scratched the other wing when trying to move it and again they say that is a separate claim.
This is really doing my head in, haven’t been able to get a courtesy car yet but hopefully this should now be next week