Hamster's take on the A3 Saloon - "Meh"

BGS

Reaction score
I think this might the first negative review I have seen for the Saloon. Although it is more indifferent than negative I suppose. The Hamster seems to be thouroughly underwhelmed. Hopefully he is just jaded by the sheer volume of cars he gets to drive, or was maybe expecting something wildy different from the 3 or 5 door?

It wont change my choice but it might make my Saloon that little bit more unique if a few less people buy it:)

Richard Hammond column: Audi A3 'Oriental' saloon is too dull for me - Richard Hammond - Mirror Online

At the risk of upsetting people, I reckon he's probably right. The A3 has always been defined as being a hatchback in most people's minds and fits the niche very well. It represents the top end of hatchbacks and it has won accolades and awards a plenty, making some very proud and happy owners along the way. The saloon (to me) has always seemed like a bit of an afterthought with something 'not quite right' about it. A bit like slapping a 'sticky-out' bit on the back of a mini or something!

Reactions: Buneet, TDI-line, Battlekrapz and 1 other person
At the risk of upsetting people, I reckon he's probably right. The A3 has always been defined as being a hatchback in most people's minds and fits the niche very well. It represents the top end of hatchbacks and it has won accolades and awards a plenty, making some very proud and happy owners along the way. The saloon (to me) has always seemed like a bit of an afterthought with something 'not quite right' about it. A bit like slapping a 'sticky-out' bit on the back of a mini or something!

I'm inclined to agree. For me there's too much "Jetta" about it. But I do see why it would attract people looking for a classy saloon.

Reactions: TDI-line and Belfin
I get that, for anyone that has become used to the 3 and 5 doors the Saloon will always be the weird cousin:)

I suppose never having owned or driven an A3 previously I dont see it so much.

Reactions: Belfin
Best looking car in the whole A3 series in my opinion and it will be 'exclusive'. The A3 3-door is ugly and the sportback has an identity crisis as it can't decide if its a estate or not, which it is really - just put roof rails on it and stand back. UK drivers, and journalists, seem to hate saloons however I aim to be different.

Reactions: dick wad

I totally agree with you there, youve hit the nail on the head with the reference to the Mini Clubman.
I think it was also to compete with the 1 series coupe who in-turn followed suit of 3 door, 5 door, coupe,albeit that the audi is a 3 door.

Im still looking forward to having a look around them and im sure they will be a very nice car, even more so if they follow BMW and make an RS version .

I think he's right in that it looks way too boxy to me - too many straight lines, it doesn't look that great. Much prefer the hatchback versions (and the boot space seems like it'd be more usable too)

Well, I am one of those currently potentially on Audi's radar, a downsizer from the might A4 (on 3rd B8 Avant). I just test drove a SB TDI 184bhp S-Tronic, very impressed, it has the big car feeling I was not sure it would. While @ the dealer, there was a Saloon in showroom, first time I seen one in the flesh, only Sport version, so not as sweet looking as an S-Line, but I have to say I really was impressed, a good "3 box" car for sure, plenty of space and big car feel in a compact body.

I have a Landrover in the fleet to do all the family work now, so don't need the A4 Avant going forward, hence downsizing to a compact motorway muncher for work purposes, but.................. I am now in place where I really can't decide between a SB or Saloon, both are lovely........but a choice will need to made.

That is the first bad review I have read on the Saloon as all of the other reviews I have read have said that it is the nicest looking of all the A3 versions. His review however is as much a criticism of the A3 in general when he refers to the interior as 'unremarkable' when most serious reviewers refer to it as best in class. He also seems surprised that the interior is 'virtually the same' as the hatchback when it is identical in the front and so what?

I was going to buy the SB before I found out the Saloon was coming out as I much prefer the classy look and do not require the more practical family hatchback. There is nothing wrong with how the hatch, SB or Saloon looks and it all boils down to personal choice much like the diesel vs petrol debate.

To be expected from Hammond really - he's a petrol-head and not likely to be interested in "dull" diesel saloons. The fact that he finishes by speculating that the S3 - i.e. just a faster version of the same car - could be interesting, says it all.

He's also ill-informed, as indicated by his assertion that Audi would sell so many in the US and China that it doesn't matter about the UK, well the UK is Audi's second largest market after Germany so it's very important to them.

I enjoy Top Gear and like reading articles and reviews from all three presenters but frankly they shouldn't bother reviewing "average" cars like these because that's not what we expect from them and not where their area of expertise is. Their attitudes and opinions are coloured because they're all used to driving far more exotic machinery.

Basically I watch Top Gear for daft reviews and supercars - if I want to read "proper" reviews of more mainstream machinery then I go to the printed motoring press.

Reactions: squiretolley, dick wad and Daveotto
I am not a massive fan of most salons, have always liked decent hatchbacks the best looks wise and practicality thrown, that's the whole point of an A3 for me. I quite like the A3 saloon, but do think its far too similar to the A4, just a cheaper version. Too similar have its own market, but will probably sell anyway.
I like Richard Hammond, but everyone's taste and needs are different so it doesn't matter to me what he / other people think.
i would only take notice if he said the wheels where prone to falling off or something similar, the rest is just opinion, won't stop me laughing when they take the **** out off him on top gear for being short with very white teeth, it is just a good entertainment show nowadays.
But just because you like / don't like doesn't mean that everyone who disagrees is wrong.

I agree with Vertigo, the Top Gear presenters should stick to reviewing exotica as they are never going to have anything nice to say about average cars.

i enjoy watching Top Gear and of the three presenters, Richard Hammond is probably my favourite but the programme is light entertainment and is not a serious motoring programme for the average motorist. I usually record it and skip their more childish exploits.

The A3 Saloon is never going to sell in big numbers in the UK where the big demand is for hatchbacks but it fits in with Audi's strategy of catering for niche markets and for the tastes of as many buyers as possible and it is clearly paying off when you look at their sales figures.

I used to quite like Top Gear, it's just crap these days though. All so obviously scripted (always has been, but they don't even put any effort into it), very anti electric vehicle to the point that they will fake things happening (ar at least lead people to believe they happened) to discredit them. Clarkson is obviously a class A **** of the highest order, all Hammond does is pretend to act like an idiot now (ALL the time) - the only one who could leave now with a bit of self respect is James May.

I still watch the program occasionally when it's on but I don't know why any more... it's dull and predictable. The best things they've done are the specials where they don't bother setting up any jokes (for the most part) and just film it... the polar one, the amazon one etc. Even the 'big' stunts and reports they do in the series are dull now. They will never top the reliant robin space shuttle episode...

Hi, well after some negotiation I'm about to place an order for one. After stating to me there is no discount the salesperson has given me £1975...

I can't stand the geezer so his opinion means zilch to me. The new 5th Gear series on Discovery has been great so far, 'normal' cars get reviewed!!