halogen lights with drl

I think I've seen them in real life but not photos. Looks as you would expect - a small rectangular area illuminated with a single halogen bulb.

Its the circled light in my pic here -

This is it in its dimmed state, will be somewhat brighter when the sidelights and fogs are off.

IMG_4087_zps1410e63a.jpg

I understood that DRL's have to go off altogether when side or headlights are switched on. Certainly my previous Peugeot had DRLs that were incorportated with the sidelight - had a 20W/5W bulb. DRL used the 20W, when headlights or sidelights were on only the 5W element lit.

On the A3 with xenons the LED strip dims to become the sidelight.

Last edited:
Its the circled light in my pic here -

This is it in its dimmed state, will be somewhat brighter when the sidelights and fogs are off.

IMG_4087_zps1410e63a.jpg

thanks a lot chris !, hard to get a pic of this online !....i know what are the fog lights, but what is the side light? is that what we call park lights in my country? or is the side light the turn signal (indicator) light?

Last edited:
The halogen headlights use the following bulbs:
for high beam and DRL - H15 12v 55w/15w
for dipped beam - H7 12v 55w
for parking lights - W5W 12v 5w

I think the DRLs are can to be switched off or dimmed when dipped headlights are used but I don't think they have to.

On mine with halogen headlights:
DRLs use the low wattage filament of a dual filament bulb. The second filament is the headlamp main beam
Side (parking) lights are separate bulbs in the same reflector as the DRLs
DRLs go out if side lights are turned on.
Side lights stay on when headlights are on (DRLs are off)

Seems they do have to go off with other lights, see here
I think in the case of some Audi models they don't actually go completely off but do reduce in power and thus brightness. Certainly that is the case with my current 8P A3. I have xenon headlights and the LED DRLs stay on but at reduced brightness when I switch my headlights on. This probably only happens if the car has LED DRLs.
As the Halfords item says...
DRLs are connected so that they come on with your ignition and switch off when the vehicle’s lighting is switched on, unless they have a night styling function which reduces the light output for night time driving.

The LED DRLs actually become the sidelights by reducing the brightness - you'll see if you put just sidelights on without headlights.

On the 8V I noticed that you can't switch them off in the MMI nor can you in VCDS as there is very very limited coding due to being a new model.

When the light switch is set to sidelights, the DRLs dim as per my picture, when dipped beam is on, then they remain as sidelights (dimmed).

When the light switch is off or in Auto, they are at their full brightness. I obviously didn't notice whether they dim on indicating tho.

They do dim when indicating, as the 8P did. Also, whilst on the 8P the DRLs would instantly switch between high and low brightness when indicating, on the 8V they actually transition smoothly (although quickly) between the two brightness states.

The LED DRLs actually become the sidelights by reducing the brightness - you'll see if you put just sidelights on without headlights.
I've never really noticed, nor has anyone seeing my car because I never ever drive on just parking lights. No lights or dipped headlights. Parking lights are really just that, parking lights and should never be used on their own when driving. Personally I wish the manufacturers would take away the option for parking lights and give parking lights when the ignition is off and dipped headlights when the lights and ignition are on. It would stop silly people from driving around with just parking lights on thinking it's OK because they have put their lights on.

Reactions: jet_andy
In the halogen equipped cars the side lights and DRLs are separate bulbs - they don't dim, the DRLs go out altogether when you turn the sidelights on! Look at the actual bulbs that are on, not just the appearance

Nor do the DRLs dim when you indicate -they just stay the same brightness (halogen equipped)

Last edited:
h5djr - I totally agree. I don't either - was just pointing out how they work.

I've seen idiots though, driving with 'sidelights' (reduced brightness LED DRLs or conventional sidelights) on in murky conditions, not realising that by putting on just sidelights they're actually less visbile from the front becasue the sidelights are not as bright as the DRLs.

Years ago Ford had a feature that prevented you driving with sidelights on, if you put just the sidelights on you got a sort of 'dim dip' - the headlights would come on but at reduced power. I thought it was a great idea but they stopped doing it aftera while. (I'm talking in the 80's here btw!).

There was a period when dim-dip was going to be mandatory in UK. As it was only a few ever got it. A Rover 416 company car that I had was fitted with that system

Last edited:
I've never really noticed, nor has anyone seeing my car because I never ever drive on just parking lights. No lights or dipped headlights. Parking lights are really just that, parking lights and should never be used on their own when driving. Personally I wish the manufacturers would take away the option for parking lights and give parking lights when the ignition is off and dipped headlights when the lights and ignition are on. It would stop silly people from driving around with just parking lights on thinking it's OK because they have put their lights on.

I really wish people would start calling them parking lights over here, then people might actually get a clue what they are supposed to be for!

There was a period when dim-dip was going to be mandatory in UK. As it was only a few ever got it. A Rover 416 company car that I had was fitted with that system

Yes I remember having a car with the 'dim-dip' setup as well, but I cannot remember which car. Probably an Austin 1300 GT or a Triumph Dolomite.

I really wish people would start calling them parking lights over here, then people might actually get a clue what they are supposed to be for!

What are they for though? Parking?

I was always taught that side lights (front and rear) are so others can see you whilst headlights are so you can see where you're going.

Yes, usually for parking on a dark road, you can use the indicators to light them on one side to highlight it as an obstacle. Or if you are pulled over on a road waiting for someone (for example), you can leave the pakring lights on and headlights off to avoid dazzling people unnecessarily.

Do you know any lorry drivers? If so, ask them about how easy it is to see cars with only side lights when there is spray on the road... I can tell you with lorries kicking up the spray that they do, when they try and change lane and there is a car there with only side lights on, they will NOT see you. This is why I don't understand why people don't drive with headlights on when there is spray on the road, even if it isn't raining. Asking for trouble, especially on the motorway!

I never cease to be amazed at people driving under sidelights in poor conditions, crazy. Quite often you see the car before you see the sidelights are on anyway! It's simple - if lights are needed, then its dipped headlights.

And don't get me started on rear fog lights...

Reactions: cemerson