Halogen Bulb for DRLs

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Several members have commented about the 'yellow' effect of the ordinary 21w bulbs used in the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on A3s with the new Xenon plus headlights.

I have just noticed in the latest update to the Audi parts catalogue there is a different bulb listed for the DRLs on the new A5. It's a Halogen H21W-12v21w longlife bulb - part number N 104 456 02.

At least being a halogen bulb it should be less 'yellow'.

Good find mate, wonder what it will look like?

Some comparision pics would be good or even a trip to the delaers to see what they look like. I should be at the local dealers next week sometime.

I have also found a document published by Hella NZ giving details of 12v bulbs and it also lists a H21W bulb. A problem may that the normal 21w bulb has a 15mm dia base whereas the new H21W has only a 9mm dia base so may need a new bulb holder.

I have posted a copy of the Hella NZ document HERE. The H21W is on page 207.

It a large document (3.78Mb) so be warned!!!!

There has to be an easier way. I mean, isn't there an easy alternative out there already? I just feel like this problem should of gotten fixed along time ago. I've seen so many cars without xenons that got white bulbs, can't we just use those?

Part of the problem is that, at the moment, there are very few cars that are fitted with DRLs as standard in the UK. Most current cars that don't have Xenon headlights have halogen bulbs and you cannot fit a standard halogen headlight bulb in the DRLs without again changing the bulb holder and connections. They are also 55-60w and are generally too bright for normal DRLs and would also wear out quite quickly

If anyone can come up with a suitable 21w 'whiter' looking bulb then I'm sure everyone would be happy to use it. But it really needs to be a 'long-life' bulb as well because, to be effective, DRLs need to be on all the time.

h5djr said:
Part of the problem is that, at the moment, there are very few cars that are fitted with DRLs as standard in the UK. Most current cars that don't have Xenon headlights have halogen bulbs and you cannot fit a standard halogen headlight bulb in the DRLs without again changing the bulb holder and connections. They are also 55-60w and are generally too bright for normal DRLs and would also wear out quite quickly

If anyone can come up with a suitable 21w 'whiter' looking bulb then I'm sure everyone would be happy to use it. But it really needs to be a 'long-life' bulb as well because, to be effective, DRLs need to be on all the time.

Aha I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

See before I thought that DRLs are the same as normal lights that non-xenons have but think I noticed today, that it seems to be something in the inner corner inside the actual inner headlight.
First time I saw anything like that, it's very small!

Well is there a fix for foglight to come out "whiter"?

yup

i have mine on all the time.

Same here. Mine are always on.

See before I thought that DRLs are the same as normal lights that non-xenons have but think I noticed today, that it seems to be something in the inner corner inside the actual inner headlight.
First time I saw anything like that, it's very small!

I think you will find that is the side light bulb rather than the DRL. The DRL bulb is a the large normal type bulb (same as the brake light bulb) in the centre of the inner light on a car with bi-xenon headlights. The outer lights are the bi-xenons which provide both main and dip beams.

Mine are always on. I coded the back lights so they come on with DRLs as well(also have the lights on the bootlid lit as tail lights).

RobinA3 said:
yup

i have mine on all the time.

Any reason?!!? Not really sure why Audi have them on their xenon equipped cars; why not all of them? I know it's a requirement in Scandinavia to have lights on during the day. But the UK? And having had BMs with xenons on, they didn't (and I think still don't) bother with DRLs...

DRls become law on cars in the UK in 2010(cars made after that date). You may well find that in some contries where its already law they only sell cars with xenon lights(rather then having them as an extra).

Ahhh, maybe Audi are getting ahead of the game then? Although, the A3 will be replaced in 2010? So, it will be law to have them for 2010 production, but not necessarily use them?

a3norwich said:
Any reason?!!? Not really sure why Audi have them on their xenon equipped cars; why not all of them? I know it's a requirement in Scandinavia to have lights on during the day. But the UK? And having had BMs with xenons on, they didn't (and I think still don't) bother with DRLs...

Its meant to be a increased safety feature.

Some Euro people have done tests and apparently accident rates went down as more attention was paid to other vehicles with them on as they could be seen on the road better, ie car pulling out of junction notices car on main road coming towards them better as it has DRL's.

I see. Although our government (and mostly others) have not followed the Scandinavians and research that supports this yet though?

If it is shown to save lives, surely it's a no brainer?

When I drove to Austria for a holiday last June, DRLs were already required by law at all times and I must admit it did make vehicles stand out more, in particular at junctions. Cars not fitted with DRLs have to use dipped headlights at all times.

As I see it there are some advantages and no real disadvantages, so why not use them.

a3norwich said:
Ahhh, maybe Audi are getting ahead of the game then? Although, the A3 will be replaced in 2010? So, it will be law to have them for 2010 production, but not necessarily use them?

I think it will probably be law that if they are fitted they should be used. After 5yrs pretty much most cars on the road will have them on then.

Would seem so and I'm sure as has been said it will become law on new cars to both have them and use them soon!

In Denmark full headlights have to be on all the time!

I think it will probably be law that if they are fitted they should be used. After 5yrs pretty much most cars on the road will have them on then.

The law will probably be the same as has been adopted in other EU counries. If you have DRLs then you must use them. If not then you must drive with dipped headlights.

Some vehicles with lights and some without could be a recipe for disaster.

I dont have DRL but use dipped headlights in the morning and early evening as the sun is often low and behind me. Helps to be picked out against the sun for on coming drivers.

I tend to have full xenons on majority of time, have always driven with lights on since being a motorbike rider in years gone by as its much safer especially if you tend to drive quickly. Here what everyone is saying about the DRL's though thay are a distinct nasty shade of yellow.

One of the problems in the UK is that a lot of drivers seem very reluctant to put their headlights on even when it's pouring with rain. Some don't put any lights on and some seem to think that the parking (side) lights are enough. Whenever I've driven in mainland Europe they seem to be much better at putting their main headlights on whenever the light levels are poor.

At least with perminent DRLs that problem would disappear.

If the DRLs use "ordinary" type 21w bulbs like those used in indicator and brake lights, has anyone considered or tried the 24LED bulbs that are used as a replacement for those on a standard 21w base?

They have forward facing LEDs and also some that are backwards facing on the bulb assembly to make the reflector light up too...

Soemthing like these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-BULBS-1157-2057-WHITE-24-LED-LIGHT-TURN-TAIL-BRAKE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33713QQihZ007QQitemZ170115903058QQtcZphoto

The problem with those is the DIS thinks the bulb has blown because of the lower power consumption of the LED cluster. You could put a load resistor in to correct this but I think that is just too fiddly :readit:

a3norwich said:

I have mine on as i always drive with the lights on, having lights on could mean the difference between someone seeing me and not pulling out on me or someone not seeing me and pulling out and me then smashing into the back of them or something.

Its just safer to do so and therefore i just have them switched on so that i don't need to put the side lights on everytime i get into the car.

Good find! Btw, when you say end of the month do you mean end of June? I can't wait that long?!

Apparently you can turn off the bulb checking using VAG-COM. Should get rid of the annoying DIS messages with the LEDs.

You can turn the DRLs off using a switch on the dashboard. The Bi-Xenon headlights have automatic levelling and the small rotary switch next to the main lighting switch that is used for the headlight range adjustment on a car without Bi-Xenons has two positions for the DRLs. On and Off.

Not much point in putting halogen bulbs or LEDs in though if you are going to switch them off! The normal bulbs are just clear glass.

Surely he means he wants any checking of the lights switched off so that he can experiment with non-standard bulbs such as LED's for his DRL's?

I don't think he plans to buy them and not have them on, unless I am reading it wrong...

Nice one Mitch...have come to love the look of the DRL's anyway, but would be nice to get them a bit whiter...

That's right, I meant you can turn off the TESTING of the bulbs.

Sorry I mis-understood your post. The only problem would be that if you have to have the testing for the DRL bulbs turned off, then you would not know if one had failed which could be a problem if you were driving in a country where they are required by law as I will be for the next 2 weeks.

I will certainly be interested in your findings.

Will have to be the old fashioned method of checking your lights...